StudentsReview :: Harding University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityC Extra CurricularsA+
SafetyA-
Friendly, Approachable

ACT:31
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #001397; line-height:80px';float:left;
University Resource Use
D
Extra Curriculars
She cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Date: Apr 11 2008
Major: Art & Design Department (This Major's Salary over time)
If you are a Christian from another denomination besides C of C who is thinking about coming to Harding, I would advise you to do your research!!!!!! I came knowing nothing about the denomination or their beliefs, and when I got to Harding, was confronted by views like
You are going to hell if you haven't been baptized
and that musical instruments are evil. There is not much emphasis on God's forgiveness and grace. It caused me to doubt my faith a lot this first year, but finding friends and a church that share YOUR beliefs (there are some out there!) can definitely help. And one just has to be on their guard and not automatically assume that everything your bible teachers and chapel speakers say is true.

As for the rules, I really don't mind them that much. Most of that stuff was pretty straightforward before you come. Some of them do seem silly, like guys' hair length ?? Curfew is really 12, and 1 on weekends, so I'm not sure why some folks are saying it is 10.

The students are really friendly. But there are also a lot of surface level

Hi, how are you, oh, pretty good
relationships that go on, and it takes time & effort for the friendliness you see on campus to become real friendship, because a lot of people are scared to admit their weaknesses & show that they're not perfect. (Of course, they would probably get kicked out for it… that's another aspect of Harding and the general C of C mindset…)

By far the BEST part of Harding has been my social club. I would definitely join one if you come here; there is one to fit just about all types of people, although in my opinion, the smaller ones are the best. Actually, it's really easy to get involved in just about anything on a campus this size.

If you don't have a car, you will either have to get lots of rides or stay on campus a lot. There is not much to do for fun in Searcy, so people mostly talk, eat, drink coffee, play cards, and watch movies on laptops in the randomest places on campus, or else they go to Little Rock. Again, if you get involved in a club there are lots more fun things to do. It's also fun to go see the plays. There are not a lot of good places on campus to study, though. The cafeteria isn't as great as it seems on your visits, but it's not always as bad as we complain it to be.

My classes have taught me quite a lot even though I'm not really into my major yet, and most of the professors are friendly and animated. You do get a bad one now and then, though. Of course all the classes are taught from a strictly C of C point of view, since that is the only kind of teachers the administration will hire.

The administration is the biggest problem, and they seem to care more about impressing alumni to make them donate than about the students. (for example, the huge new heritage lobby that is mainly just to walk through and look impressive). Other students have pointed out to me that they also seem willing to compromise their beliefs to make money. (ex.

Dancing is a sin, unless we're making thousands of dollars from spring sing.

I do wonder if I should have gone somewhere else… but I don't really want to leave my friends or club now, so I guess I'll stick around for the next few years, now that the major adjustment crisis has passed.
But in a nutshell, (if it's possible), know what you're getting into before you decide to come.

questionWhat is your opinion on the dorms and bathrooms?
Harding University