StudentsReview :: Seattle Pacific University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA+
Friendly, Approachable, Closeminded

B-
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: May 07 2008
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
I came to SPU because I wanted a Christian school in the city. I didn't want to be forced to go to chapel everyday. SPU does not have any requirements for chapel, but almost all the classes have some faith added in. Be aware that it is EXTREMELY hard to transfer in and out. I loved the faculty and some of the people. The biggest problem is the lack of communication. No one quite knows what's going on. Overall I never wished I had gone to another school, just wished that this one is cheaper.

questionHi, I read your review on Seattle Pacific University, and while I am not a devout Christian, I studied in a Christian school since kindergarten. I did enjoy the harmonious atmosphere and the genuine care people had for each other because of the school's religious affiliation. However, I am uncertain of whether I would fit in, being not officially a Christian but liking the environment. Also, you mentioned that it is extremely hard to transfer in and out of the school, could you elaborate on this? Because my plan is that if I do not find the school atmosphere fitting for me or if later on I feel like I want to attend a large school, I could transfer from SPU to a school like UW or WSU. What is it that makes transferring difficult? Thank you so much for answering my questions, I hope you know that you have just greatly helped an international student with no chance to visit these schools. Thanks again!
responseTransferring out: SPU has required university classes for graduation. I think it’s common for most universities to have one seminar class, but SPU has an entire series of 5 credit classes (35 credits total). First quarter freshman year, you have to register for a USEM which is a seminar class which goes over the basics of SPU along with a second topic (each of them are different. I took one about Mother Teresa my roommate took one focused on the show “ER” and medical ethics). The next quarter you’ll automatically be put in a UCOR 1000 (art studies) and then UFND 1000 (which studies basic Christian beliefs and principles) the following quarter. Starting sophomore year you can pick when to take the remainder of the classes, but to graduate you are required to take UCOR 2000, UFND 2000, UCOR 3000, & UFND 3000. The rest of these classes are History, Christian Scriptures, Philosophy, and Theology classes which all count as your General Education requirements. While all schools have a similar class requirement for graduation, because of the title and description of the classes, most schools won't count the credits.

My advice: You're automatically put in the U classes your freshman year (you do get to choose which USEM you’re put in), but if your unsure on your future at the university, don't register for UCOR & UFND 2000 your sophomore year until you are sure you're going to stay (you can always take them later). See if UW or WSU will count them as religion classes if you decide to transfer. Another option is to talk to your profs you took the U classes from and see if they will write a note or sign something for you stating you completed a certain class.

Transferring In: It’s pretty much the U classes that make it difficult to transfer in. No matter when you transfer in, you are required to take all the U classes except USEM (also UFND & UCOR 1000 get combined to make UFND 2100). The only exception is if you transfer in with your AA. Also, SPU is picky about accepting credits. I lived with two transfer students my junior year and both had a difficult time getting SPU to accept the credits they had taken. Most transfer students I knew at SPU ended up doing an extra year. Transferring into SPU can also be difficult socially. SPU really pushes community in the dorms, so if you were to transfer in during your junior year or don’t live in the dorms, it makes it difficult to get to know others.

My advice: Transfer in early (ex: sophomore year) or wait till you have your AA. Also if SPU rejects some of your credits and you will be required to repeat a class, talk to professors in that department. One of my transfer student roommates was told by her academic councilor that SPU would not accept her Biology 1000 class. After the first day, she realized the class was very close to the one she had previously taken at her old school. She talked to the professor and the professor helped her get the requirement waved so she could start Biology 2000 level class later that week. Socially, get involved with an activity or club. For example, one of my roommates who transferred into SPU got involved with Colleges Against Cancer and Relay For Life and made most of her friends through that.

Faith/Environment: I knew a few people at SPU who were not Christians but still enjoyed SPU. I met the full range of people at SPU from non-Christians to kids who grew up going to public school (me!) to kids who were home schooled their whole lives. Most people are genuinely nice and SPU is pretty liberal compared to most Christian schools. However, because it is a Christian university, others would assume that you had the same beliefs and faith experiences that they did. This led to a slight undertow of judgment. I want to emphasize that this is pretty minor; it took me a year after graduation to realize that this was the source of some of my issues with SPU. The problem is no one has exactly the same beliefs and faith experiences that others have had.

My advice: Be bold. Understand that you will probably be in the minority, but don’t feel ashamed about that. Some people might look at you in shock and awe when you say you don’t consider yourself to be a Christian, but most people will be okay with it and will be interested in what you have to say. SPU will have you think and explore your beliefs, but none of the professors and most of the student body won’t think less of you if those beliefs are not the same ones outlined by the apostle’s creed or the bible. Don’t be afraid to speak up, and make you’re beliefs be known. You’ll help others think about and question their beliefs just as they will help you think about yours.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Let me know if you have any others or there’s anything else I can help you with. Good Luck!

Compare SPUSave SPU