StudentsReview :: Oakland University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityD Extra CurricularsA-
SafetyA+
Friendly, Afraid, Approachable, Snooty, Closeminded

ACT:24
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
Super Brilliant
D
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Jun 29 2008
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
I get a lot of the comments that have been posted thus far. If there is one glaring weakness about OU, it is that it is largely a commuter school; thus, a commuter environment prevails. Commuters - many who are complaining below - go to class and then go home. But it is because most commuters work many hours and have lives outside of the "college experience." Understandable.

Living on-campus, on the other hand, gives students an entirely different experience. Especially if you ACTUALLY TAKE INITIATIVE. I can not tell you what OU has done for me. I came to this school a timid kid with no ambition of getting involved or making any kind of difference. Through the student orgs I joined, the on-campus jobs I had, and the positive experiences I had in my classes, I am now a much more involved person who has no problem talking to anyone or taking on leadership roles. I truly believe being at OU with other people like this really made me who I am today.

Further, I never have had anything but positive experiences in my classes. EVERY professor has been willing to meet outside of class, some were opinionated, but I could understand all of them. I am not a business, math, or biology student, so that may understand why I have not had any professors who were hard to understand.

Some of my intro courses and gen eds were classes that I really only learned stuff on my own (reading the book), but I figure that is to be expected in many colleges. On the flip side, I have learned much in my 300/400-level classes where it may only be 15 students working and learning together with the professor.

The campus is beautiful, the buildings are - for the most part - well-maintained, and MOST of the student services are great. Financial aid representatives can be a problem, yes, but on the other hand the Center for Student Activities, the Tech Center, the Reference Desk in the library, Housing, the Rec Center, the Registrar, the Tutoring Center, Oakland Center maintenance staff, and the CMI/DSS/ARC all have amazing, nice people working for them willing to help. Students need to realize that if you give employees attitudes - especially in financial aid where the reps have to deal with bad attitudes and sometimes break students hearts about their finances - then it may be harder for them to give you a completely positive attitude in return.

In sum, I love OU and the experiences it had given me so far. The only thing I worry about is that it is not a recognized name in the region and does not have the prestige of other state schools. But with growing athletics and a new med school on the way, I am hoping this changes.

Compare OaklandSave Oakland