StudentsReview :: Hillsdale College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyB
Friendly, Approachable

SAT1300
C-
She cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Jul 02 2008
Major: History/Histories (art history/etc.) (This Major's Salary over time)
I would not replace my Hillsdale experience with that at any other college. The educational quality is very high (Hillsdale is one of those rare places where you can learn to play the cello, speak Ancient Latin, and major in Physics, all at the same time), the people are great (if some of them do have a snootiness complex—many of them are broken of this habit by sophomore year), the campus and surrounding country are beautiful. Education becomes a part of daily life at Hillsdale, and you will, if you seek to, learn "to see life steadily and to see it whole"—not an easy task in modern education. The search for Truth and life are inseparable here.
questionI was just accepted to Hillsdale after applying early decision. Don't get me wrong I am excited about going but I am unnerved by the the negative comments I read on this site. I recognize that Hillsdale is a unique school that may not suit everyone which could have contributed to the intense bitterness that lead to the comments, but I myself am not home-schooled, super conservative, and not all that religious. I would describe myself as economically conservative and socially liberal, and I was raised Catholic but have never been really that into it.I don't want to be socially and academically isolated because of that. Another thing that also bothered me was the talk that Hillsdale just prepares you to, frankly, be able to
converse like a scholar
, but does not prepare you for the real world and gives you no particular skill set. Another person talked of not being marketable b/c of his Hillsdale background that held no weight. Please tell me this is not true. The impression I got was that Hillsdale prepared you not only for life,but that a Hillsdale degree meant something, and they had connections that would be helpful in todays economy. I know that they have a 99% job placement/higher education within 6 months of graduation, but how much weight does that hold. I don't want to make only 20.000 a year. I like to eat and live somewhere with heat. I noticed that you majored in History( one of the reasons I'm subjecting you to this panicked, late night rant, that and you graduated less than a year ago), which is something I'm considering possibly as a prelude to law school. Have you found you have been able to secure yourself a job? Something that you actually want to be doing in your field? I'm honestly sorry to subject you to this, but I don't know any alums so this is the best I have. I know chances are you won't get this, or read it, but if you do I would really appreciate if you could shed some light on this. I can accept the brutal truth or if you want to set me straight( that your getting paid 200,000 grand to read books on the French Revolution or appraising Warhols) that's cool too. I'm not unrealistic I realize no one starts off at the top, but am I at a disadvantage coming from Hillsadle? More so than MSU for example? Ok, at this point if your still reading this your the sweetest person in the world, but if you could help me out that would be amazing.
Thanks so much!