StudentsReview :: The University of Alabama - Extra Detail about the Comment

ACT:29
Not so bright
D+
A
She cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Date: Aug 05 2008
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
I enrolled in the University's "New College" interdisciplinary program. Its designed and marketed to students who are "self-motivated" and different. Basically, it was the program for anyone who was smart, weird, and liberal. We had seminars, not classes. It was awesome in its learning opportunities. Wonderful reading, discussions, people, etc. The New College secretary, Margarete, should have received an award for her friendliness and guidance. New College was small, and so I felt like I was attending a small, liberal, private university (ala Brown or Bryn Mawr). Its also very ecologically minded, progressive liberally, etc.

The problem is that New College WAAAYYYYY overhypes its "differentness" and "coolness". I have been hard pressed to find a good job after college. No one will hire an "interdisciplinary studies" major. At least no one in my field. I have spoken with others who graduated before me who attest to the same. We have pretty much all returned to grad school for something more "practical" so we can pay the bills.

That being said, I still feel like I learned VERY WELL in New College classes. And NC helped me stay tuned in to my other classes, which would have just been boring lecture crap without the interdisciplinary approach with which to integrate it all.

The campus isn't that beautiful. The Quad is nice, and thats about it. The rest of it looks like a dump.

Off campus is a dump unless your parents are paying for you to rent a nice box.

I lived on a party street, in a big CONDEMMED apartment house. Basically all the freaks got lived there, so that was cool. We had house parties and bands all the time, but our place was a DUMP. Serious. I won't be surprised if I get cancer from it years down the road.

Greek life RULES. Greek Frats bus kids to the polls on election day, pump them full of beer, and then tell them to vote conservatively.

If youre an art freak, or queer, or liberal, go someplace else. I was in the Women's Studies department and we were constantly being threatened with losing our funding because folks thought we turned

impressionable young girls
into lesbians. Well, yeah we had a few lesbians in the women's studies department, but so what? UA still supports institutionalized bigotry, and homophobia has taken the place of racism.

That being said, there were some really cool liberal professors in the religious studies dept. (Dr. Dody), AA studies (Dr. Shabaz), and WS (anyone of the TAs).

So anyway, if you're into INTERDISCIPLINARY studies, New College is great, but make sure you get something you can get a job with. And don't let them blow smoke up your ass.

Make your own scene. Hell, harass the Greeks - its very amusing.

The University of Alabama