StudentsReview :: Christopher Newport University - Extra Detail about the Comment

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Friendly, Approachable

SAT1300
C
Creativity/ Innovation
She cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Aug 24 2008
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
I went to CNU as an out-of-state student, as did many students from the northeast, because it's more affordable than state schools in places such as New Hampshire. I wasn't particularly impressed with the GenEds, but once I got into my department, I really enjoyed the classwork and was challenged by my professors. I will be presenting a paper that I wrote for an undergraduate course here in a graduate panel at the National Communication Association conference. The professors that I had were very willing to encourage conference participation and were happy to critique papers.

CNU is in Newport News, which isn't the safest or wealthiest area in VA, by far. However, it's not far from several beaches, including VA Beach, and it's easy to go to Norfolk or Williamsburg for alternative entertainment. I never had any trouble finding parties on the weekends, and CAB brought several name act comedians and musicians to campus while I was there. Most alcohol busts seem to happen in Santoro, b/c you can hear everything that's going on in each room from the hallway - York and Potomac are much better places to live as a freshman.

The honor code is pretty serious at CNU, so if you are caught with alcohol/weed, it's better to just fess up - the penalty is much lower for substance abuse alone, and chances are good that if you've attracted the attention of an RA/police officer, you're not at your most suave. Community service hours seem really long, but a lot of people don't end up serving the full amount b/c they run out of work for you to do.

Compare CNUSave CNU