StudentsReview :: Lawrence Technological University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Lawrence Technological University

Alumni Survey

Date: Sep 22 2008
Major: Electrical Engineering (This Major's Salary over time)
Lawrence Tech is an Engineering/Architectural School. I think that this is where its prime talent lies—creating good to great engineers and architects. It is a difficult atmosphere. There is no rah, rah environment, nor too much "social" interaction, so if that is your cup of tea—do not come here. I find it frustrating to see people sign up to attend, and then wish that they were at Michigan. I went there to earn my engineering degree—and did not have time for much else. I found the professors great for those who wanted to learn, and they worked with those who gave evidence of putting their best into their classes. They lost patience with those who still needed to grow up—and wanted something for nothing. Lawrence does have issues—it is expensive, the coursework is hard, and the environment is not very kind. It doesn't spend money on many soft things, like laundry, maids, and gourmet cafetarias (though that would be nice). They like to buy big machines for testing materials (heat), and automotive parts, and labs.

Sometimes, in the summer, we would receive students from big name schools like U of M—I partnered with one in a programming class one year. They struggled mightily and explained that Lawrence was soooo difficult. Based on what they told me—some professors gave them breaks because they were in college—and they believed partying has a role in their maturity process. I didn't see professors like that at Lawrence.

I went there for years. I had other demands on my time and could not take more that two classes for most years. I envied those who could write a check for 4 to 5 classes and resented them a little more when they flunked out. I couldn't afford to flunk. So my attitude is a little different than most; I can't tell you how many times I sat in class, hoping that no one would come in and tell me to get out—I was just so glad to be there. GET YOUR EDUCATION and make the most of it—it works if you work. I tell my children constantly that it is not the school that makes you successful. All a school has to do is to give you the tools to success. Lawrence has those tools. If you decide to come to Lawrence, you need to focus. Because, ultimately, your success is up to you.

Compare LTUSave LTU