StudentsReview :: Seattle University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Central Washington University -- Ellensburg, WA

Seattle University

Alumni Survey

Date: Oct 15 2008
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
Seattle U…when I applied, I was pretty ambivalent about the school. I'm a Washington native and I knew I didn't want to go out-of-state.

I applied to both Eastern and Central, as well as Western. I got into all three, including Seattle U. Originally, I'd wanted to go to Western but financial aid has a way of changing plans.

That's the thing about Seattle U.—they give amazing financial aid packages, particularly to minorities. So the combination of my grades and my ethnicity meant that attending SU cost me less than I would have paid to go to a public school in-state.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Seattle U. It's true there's almost no night life near campus, so being entertained (especially as a freshman) requires effort.

I also really liked the small classes; the number one thing that I didn't want as an undergrad. was to be sitting in a huge auditorium, lost in a crowd of faces. At the same time, the small classes can suck—you're held accountable for attendance/participation (often it's 10-20% of your final grade!).

The area around campus…not the greatest and rent is kinda high if you want to live alone (advice: find one or two friends and split a house/apartment).

Anyway…I always felt like I was valued as a student. The administration (i.e., registrar, financial aid office, etc) were always super helpful for me. Professors are insanely accessible—most of the ones I had listed their home phone numbers on the syllabi.

My one pet peeve is that we were forced to take so dang many philosophy and theology classes (five in all). It's a Jesuit school, yes, but seriously…a few of those CORE classes are simply overkill.

Basically, it's a good school. Not a GREAT school, though. They try to present themselves like they're selective and a font of intellectuality in the Northwest. In reality, they accept something like 70% of applicants and probably only five of the 36 classes I took were genuinely challenging. Out of the rest, I coasted and did okay. Not that I'm saying you should coast…but if you do, it probably won't be the end of your academic career.

Compare SeattleSave Seattle