StudentsReview :: The University of Mississippi - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

ACT:29
SAT2000
Useful Schoolwork
A
She cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Oct 19 2008
Major: Unknown (This Major's Salary over time)
I can easily say that my time at Ole Miss has been the worst 3.5 months of my life. With each passing day I resent the ever-smiling sorority flakes, and empty-headed fraternity beer-guzzlers even more. The student population is a frothy bunch of careless and dim-witted pretty faces (excluding the honors college and croft institute students, the two islands of intelligence in a sea of stupidity.) The girls walk around campus in their running shorts and shoes with no intention of participating in any sort of athletic activity, the fashion statement from Mon-Fri is not making a fashion statement. The norm for females being gym shorts and an oversized t-shirt.

There is absolutely nothing to do socially unless you are Greek or ridiculously religious, which 95% of the student population seems to be. Almost every club is oriented for Greek system members/bible thumpers.

Do not come here without a southern accent, I'm from the north and my "accent" sets me apart as soon as I open my mouth, one utterance of "pop" and no one looks at me the same. Also, do not come here without a car, the city of Oxford and Ole Miss are both completely set up for citizens and students to have personal transportation. All of the restaurants, grocery stores, and shopping areas are well outside of the safe boundaries for walking. Which leaves you at the mercy of the university provided food options, The Johnson Commons, the student union, and the C store. I'll never understand why the JC has a selection of 10+ desserts, but as an entree there's only either super salty stir fry/quesadilla (never both) or nasty re-heated cafeteria pizza. There's a stand of apples, oranges and sometimes bananas, but you have to be sneaky if you want more than one, I've been harrassed more than once for trying to take more than "my fair share" of oranges. I guess I misunderstood the term unlimited meal plan…When it comes to the Union, there are definitely more options, but they're not much more appetizing and the hours of operation are screwy. You never know which stations will be selling food, or if the food court itself will even be open at all (Despite the hours they advertise on every napkin holder) The C store is almost always open, but that shit is so expensive, plus if you don't live in stockard or martin you kinda have to sneak in.

Everyone down here raves about "The Grove" and how there's nothing else like it, a sight to behold. A medium sized expanse of mostly dirt (where grass has eroded from too much drunken trampling on game day) and a few trees. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess it's just tradition? Such a tradition, the biggest celebration of mediocrity you will ever see. Everyone goes all out for home games, overly formal attire, The Grove is covered in blue and red tents by the night before and everyone gets drunk and belligerently slurs the 'Hotty Toddy' chant.

As a freshman I don't have anything to compare my academic experience at Ole Miss to. I can say however that although all of my professors at Ole Miss have been kind in their instruction and generous with their office hours, I was more challenged intellectually at my high school.

Needless to say, I will not be returning to Ole Miss.

commentStory…of my life… im a freshmen now and I HATE IT no school clubs, or groups for normal people who aren't jesus freaks or idiot fratboys or slutty serority sluts im guessing you didnt stick around?
commentHaha loser