StudentsReview :: San Francisco State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Surrounding CityA+ Extra CurricularsD+
SafetyB-
Friendly, Arrogant, Snooty, Closeminded

Arrogant, Condescending, Self Absorbed

She cares more about Campus Maintenance than the average student.
Date: Nov 07 2008
Major: Music - Performance (This Major's Salary over time)
I was also a music major at SF State and experienced similar problems in that department. The office staff, including Mary Ford and Jaime Galli along with Lisa Wielunski, tends to be pretty unhelpful and in need of a remedial course in basic manners. They pretty much do not care about you at all. The music professors are pretty much the same; they don't care about anything except money and making themselves look good. With tuition going up and going, it is like students are paying the price for a Mercedes and getting a Buick in return.

Students don't seem to care too much either. They put far more priority on talking the talk rather than trying to become better musicians. Many of them are also two-faced and not trustworthy.

Now that I am in a graduate program at a much better music school, I definitely would not recommend SF State to anyone. The real good thing about it is the city it is in. If that is the school's one big draw, pretty sad.

responseDo you think it appropriate to name peoples names in your little rant? These people are professional, dedicated and extremely hard working, and it is immature for you to slander their names while you whine about the injustices of this state funded school. Though you consider yourself quite bright, did you ever think of how taxing it might be on a person to work in an office of 3 people and be responsible for the well-being of close to 500 people? It's funny that you have the audacity to question the dedication of people who work 60 hours a week for a pitiful salary to make sure spoiled brats like you have the best that pathetic state funding can provide. Maybe you question their manners because no one dropped the 500 things they were juggling at that exact moment because you lack the ability to read a school bulletin. If anything, maybe you can thank SFSU for giving you in education in learning how to wipe your own ass.
responseWow! what a rant, clearly from someone with very limited information. true, this is a school most fit for the extraordinarily self-reliant. the tenured professors make on average about as much money as a receptionist downtown, and the part-time lecturers…practically volunteering. The office staff individually pumps out the work of 2 or 3 people on average, and mostly just hear complaints about not having done the work of 4. it's a high-volume, high-burnout job from all perspectives.

so you've got an exploited, burned-out employee busting their ass, working beyond capacity and being treated like they're doing nothing, and a student wanders in with a question that didn't attend orientation, didn't crack open their bulletin, didn't attempt to find what they needed on the internet, and fully expecting full-service immediately.

I got my music degree from SF State, and learned to be independent and resourceful, and learned to work within any situation handed to me. All it took was a little empathy, dedication to finding all of the resources, and self-reliance - all exceptionally valuable in my professional life.

responseYou two are obviously two of the people mentioned in the review. Students are just there to learn, not play therapist to you. You think you'd have better things to do with your time that respond to a review that you obviously do not think is valid. And if you hate your jobs so much, quit. YOu'd be doing both yourselves and the department a favor.
responseActually, I am one of three mentioned in the review. The reviewer really hurt my feelings. So many people are so mean to me at my job and it isn't fair. I don't know why they expect me to know so much and do so much. I deserve far better because I am far better than the people I work for, but for some reason life has never been kind to me. I am so hurt that a person, who I may even have said hi to today, chose to be so mean to me.
commentJamie Galli can't sing worth crap.
responseJaime and Lisa each have an ass large enough to have its own zipcode.
commentLisa Wielunski, aka The Pillsbury Doughgirl. I sure hope those two see a dietician quick or they will both die of heart failure.
responseI don't know what people are whining and crying about. The person who wrote the review spoke truthfully. I know because I've dealt with Mary Ford and she is a nasty BITCH. Dealing with her when organizing my required recital was dreadful, she was so rude and negative and always made it seem that I was bothering her when all I did was ask her to do what she is paid to do. Mary is so nasty to students and always seems out for a fight. If she is that miserable, it's time for her to quit and find another job despite the state of the economy.
responseAt least they got rid of that Mary Ford that meddlesome drama queen. Time for SFSU to do something right.
Compare SFSUSave SFSU