StudentsReview :: Northern Michigan University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

ACT:30
Safety
A
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Nov 12 2008
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
I came to NMU as a post-baccalaureate student. I am an engineer who is changing careers to math teaching. I have 2 masters degrees, over 8 years engineering experience, over 7 years experience working with youth, 4 years experience teaching high school and middle school. Yet, NMU would not make any modifications to the teaching certificate program for me. Even though I have over 100+ mathematics credits due to my engineering studies, they still insisted that I take many math courses. (By the way, I took the MTTC before I took all these and passed all the sections of the mathematics test - almost none wrong - other people have to take and retake this test many times to pass.) My level of math understanding is comparable to the professors themselves, really. I could be teaching these classes. The professors and counselors have been most unhelpful and consequently my simple teaching certificate will take 3 years. Also, I am a man from another country (Europe) and have experienced discrimination from the majority of the professors. The professors have demeaned me both with their words and e-mails to eachother. I have lived in the USA for over 15 years, and am a citizen. I have lived in Houston, TX Chicago, IL and Boston, MA and I have never felt more discriminated against than I am right now in Marquette, MI. I do not recommend this education progam to anyone in my situation. Go get an alternative certificate in Milwaukee or Chicago with the Teaching fellows program instead. I feel I have wasted all my time and money here.
commentYou are required to take the courses in order for the school to look like it is producing a good student. Right now, the math department is in dire straights as far as accreditation goes. Little wonder. For the same reason I am required to take a bunch of liberal studies courses that are poorly taught, express only the teachers opinion, and are generally useless in the real world.

Not sure about the discrimination issue. Never had that personally as I'm from Marquette, but politically I'm attacked any time I try to say something other than great art the democrats among men.

Compare NMUSave NMU