StudentsReview :: The University of California - Santa Barbara - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of California -- San Diego, CA

SAT2020
Academic Success
C
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
He cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Nov 21 2008
Major: Unknown (This Major's Salary over time)
I remember checking this site when trying to make my final decision, and being a little worried about some of the comments I saw. I've been a freshman for a few months now, and am so glad that I made the choice to come here.

The campus is beautiful, the town is beautiful, and every evening I watch the sunset in amazement that I get to live in such a paradise.

I will make the note that the party atmosphere is pretty pervasive, but NOT A NECESSITY. I've been here for a few months now, and I have not been to a SINGLE party or had a SINGLE drink of alcohol. Sure, plenty of people have joked about how I'm "missing out," but I can laugh along with them knowing what they're missing. I've sat on the beach and watched the sunrise. I had a great time at Halloween, seeing the hordes of outlandish costumes roaming the streets. I've made great friends with my floormates, and almost every night you can find us all lounging around the floor lounge, pounding out math homework.

Speaking of dorm living, yes it can be loud at times. However, one of the first things I noticed upon moving in is how incredibly THICK the walls are. You can close your windows and close your door, and that ghetto bass blasting from two doors down is quickly drowned out with some light music. Or you can prop your door open and strum a few notes on the guitar and watch as people wander in just to hang out.

The work is difficult, as expected. We're all here BECAUSE we were the smart ones in high school, so you're expected to be able to keep up. But with that comes the realization that a schedule doesn't have to be an 8-hour block of class in the middle of your day. sprinkle a few classes through out, or do as I did and pack everything into the morning so you're done by noon. The downside to this is that 8am classes are a no-no, as I learned the hard way. 9 is pushing it. I know that's how it's been for the past 18 years. But now that you're setting your own schedule, finishing that paper/card game/beer pong game at 3am is gonna be a lot more of a regular occurrence. All in all, you'll probably find your equilibrium point fairly quickly, and enjoy the rest of your time.

And if you find for some reason you aren't enjoying your time, there's a slew of free health/mental health/sexual health/academic/pretty much anything you can imagine counseling available for free and made very easy to access. Personally I'm dealing with a girlfriend who's now a 5-hour train ride away, and it's tough. But I know this amazing place and my experience is worth it. And next year she's trying to transfer here, and then it truly will be a complete paradise.

Compare UCSB/UC-Santa BarbaraSave UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara