StudentsReview :: Oakland University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant

Average
Social Life
Safety
He cares more about Extra Curriculars than the average student.
Date: Nov 22 2008
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
I would not recommend you go to this University and I am making a list about why:

First of all; lets start with academics. The classes here are not very challenging for the most part(With the exception being the Math Department). Most of the work you will be doing will be endless hours of busywork that will require you to complete daily homework assignments. And this isn't just consistent in one class or department; nearly all the classes offered at this University are revolved around doing daily/weekly "busywork" type assignments. This will drain a lot of your free time and often you will end a semester without actually learning anything outside of "Plug in this; Plug in that." Academics are mediocre at best but they are not necessarily bad.

Second lets get into the parking situation. Every year the number of students attending goes up but the parking spots never seem to increase. Every day many students are forced to park their cars at the opposite end of the campus just to find a parking spot in order to get to class. As far as I know, the University has done nothing to increase parking spaces(By building new lots).

Third, the social life on the campus is obsolete. You have to go out of your way to join clubs or teams just to communicate with just about anyone on campus. Most people will just go to class and run straight to their cars and go home. And the worst part about it is that the school takes absolute ZERO initiative to help students out in this area of the College experience. I am not talking about Parties here; I am talking about the general feel that any of the bigger College campuses have(Such at MSU or UofM). People here seem to have no life at all and just go to class and then go back to work. On the weekends the campus is dead and there is no initiative to change this. I am probably repeating myself but don't come here expecting to have fun. And I mean any fun at all; the campus is socially dead.

Fourth of all; it feels so much like High School. In fact, it really is just like one giant high school. A lot of people still live with their parents and they go to class and then go home exactly like high school. The teachers talk to you like 10 years old exactly like the way it was in high school. Its something that you will have to experience yourself with you come here- But it is not a good feeling. I don't like walking to my class knowing that I have a teacher who will treat me like I am 5 years old.

Fifth, like people have already said the financial aid office is not very good. In fact the difference in credit hour isn't really that significant between MSU and OU. So if you have the money I suggest that you go somewhere else. The only way I would recommend to stay at OU is if you commute from home and don't have the money to attend a more expensive College.

Compare OaklandSave Oakland