StudentsReview :: National University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

National University

Alumni Survey

Date: Dec 01 2008
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
I attended National University because of the possibility of completing my teaching credential program in a relatively short period of time online. This is one of their selling points. However, in practice this did not work out for me. There are numerous "gotchas" that can prevent a student from completing their program quickly, e.g. unavailability of required classes when you are able to take them, availability of online classes not guaranteed, misinformation from university counselors, student emergencies, etc. It took me considerably longer to finish my program then what the university said.

The quality of my education specialist teacher credential program left much to be desired. I was gravely disappointed due to the fact that out of about twenty courses that I took, only three or four were actually relevant to the specific student population I teach. Furthermore, the content of a couple of courses deviated significantly from the course description. For example, I took a class on assistive technology for students with disabilities, and the classwork dealt mainly with writing IEPs. The final exam (believe it or not) dealt primarily with multicultural issues and not assistive technology.

My final complaint addresses the needless complexity of the administrative processes at National University. I have attended three other universities and no where else were the administrative hurdles as steep as at National. Whether it was admissions, financial aid, or program advisement, things never went as smooth for me at National as I had experienced at other universities.

Regrettably, I cannot in good conscience recommend National University for anyone seeking a teaching credential. There are other, much less expensive and complicated, options.

Compare NationalSave National