StudentsReview :: Pitzer College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Helpful, Self Absorbed

Not so bright
C-
Faculty Accessibility
He cares more about Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty than the average student.
Date: Dec 03 2008
Major: History/Histories (art history/etc.) (This Major's Salary over time)

Let me preface this all by saying I deeply respect Pitzer. I think it is a very impressive institution that has a very unique and valuable thing going. I don't consider my time at Pitzer a waste, rather I feel that it was extremely important. I learned alot, not only academically, but about myself as well. Therefore, I often times attribute my decision to transfer to the fact that I should have never wound up there in the first place. I was too caught up in the pressure/strategy of the application process and at the time I didn't really know what I was looking for.

The main problem, for me, was the caliber of the student body. I cringe to type these words because they sound so pompous and general, but I am trying my best to be straighforward. There are many people at Pitzer far smarter and more driven than I—almost all are more morally noble, they have a passion I often envied. However, when I speak of "caliber", I speak purely academically. It seemed to me a large majority of students didn't really care about their studies. Academics were viewed as something of a nuisance, interesting at times, but mostly it got in the way of other things (be they getting high or saving the world). Students seemed to lack an overall intellectual drive. This caused a lot of problems.

Nothing is more frustrating than paying for a small classroom experience but having no one in the class bother to do the reading. I was constantly frustrated by the way my fellow students would laugh off their studies, or intetionally search out "joke" classes. One day when our professor asked us "who did the reading?" no one raised their hands, I had done it but was too embarassed to be the only one; thats when I realized something was not right. All schools have these sort of "slacker" people, but in my opinion pitzer had FAR too many. Academic did not "leave the classroom" as so many brochures put it, rather sometimes they hardly entered.

For me, this general lack of intellectual enthusiasm seemed to discredit alot of other thigns students did. How could I take seriously the protests of kids I knew skipped class to get high or goof off? Slowly I found myself becoming bitter towards everyone, as if their laziness was an insult to my diligence. At times I have credited this to my being an east-coaster, unable to adjust to the "laidback" nature of california. This may be true to some extent, but it doesn't explain everything. In my conversations with my friends at pizter (many of whom also went on to transfer) we all noted a sevre dearth of intellectual curiosity and passion.

There were other minor aspects too—the boring nature of claremont, the lackluster extracirriculars, small departments, etc—but none of this would have really mattered to me if there hadn't been the bigger problem. I suppose it could be chalked up to the

hippy-drug-laidback Pitzer
stereotype, but that would do my complaint injsutice. The problem with Pitzer is that it's best attributes, and it's worst, are inexorably linked. I feel President. Trombley knows this and is doing her best to raise the academic standards of the school while simultaneously maintaing in the unique, dynamic nature of the student body—but it is not easy to do. I met a ton of the most interesting people at pitzer, unfortuneatly most of them weren't very interested in going to college.

Pitzer is a great school as it is, it jsut wasn't right for me. However, if the school is looking to capture more people like me (whatever I am? pretentious? snobby? insecure?) then they would be wise to focus on raising the academic standards of their admissions.

responseSounds exactly like my experience at Kenyon.
questionWhere did you end up transferring to?
questionHow big would you say the drug scene is there? Because I am extremely against drug use, and hope not to have mostly potheads as classmates. Also, your comment is extremely helpful, because I am also a (decently) hard-working student (I went to an EXTREMELY competitive high school, so academic rigor is automatically one out of many things I'm looking for in a college/university). Thanks! :)
Compare PitzerSave Pitzer