StudentsReview :: Evergreen State College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityB+ Extra CurricularsB
SafetyB+
Friendly, Approachable

ACT:24
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
Excess Competition
B-
Faculty Accessibility
He cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Jan 31 2009
Major: Cultures/Civilization (This Major's Salary over time)
Awesome experience. I am from the east coast and looked at many colleges. Evergreen by far offered the most interesting curriculum I could find -surprisingly in a public school setting vs private school. It feels like a private school without the pretentious and pricey element.

My course program made so much more sense than a traditional school where my friends go-they are sitting in lecture halls with 100-200+ students and their professors have no idea who they are and who don't care who they are. They are also taking courses that they have no interest in but are required to take to get their degree-it seems degrading, like taking the same useles classes you have to when you are in high school. There's no way I was going to do that for another four years. I am choosing my own major, my own coure of study, etc. My professors really do care about who I am as an individual. That may sound hokey but it is true. It is refreshing to have a professor want to know what makes you tick. There is a more diversified group of people than I have seen at other campuses. It was real easy for me to meet people I could relate to. It is easy to speak out in class and let my opinion known-though most people tend to be liberal minded, I can voice my middle of the road thoughts without getting hassled. The other students are all cool, not at all stuck up and they aren't out to screw you either. Everyone kind of works together. Great music scene in and around Olympia. Nice that Seattle and Portland aren't too far away either. Nothing like waking up to Mt. Ranier every day. The weather is NOT an issue. Get over it. The school is not for everyone. But it is for those who want something more out of life than they did in high school or a traditional college. This became real clear to me when I go back home and visit my friends at their colleges. Their schools are like an extension of high school ( I can do that because of the trimesters). It never feels that way here. Also the trimester set up makes time fly. My four years here will be over sooner than I thought. More schools should teach the way Evergreen does. I couldn't imagine being in another type of learning environment.

Compare ESCSave ESC