StudentsReview :: Oakland University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Helpful, Self Absorbed

ACT:25
Social Life
B+
He cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Feb 18 2009
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
I have lived in the city of rochester my whole life (the city Oakland University is located in) and had a blast throughout high school. I had 3.3 gpa and got a 25 on the ACT. I got accepted to MSU, Grand Valley and Oakland and I decided to go to OU because my best friend was going there and I just didn't feel ready to live on my own. I lived on campus and my house is 5 min. away, and I chose to do that because it was either live at home and buy a car or live on campus and become socially acquainted. Before OU I wasn't really the most outgoing kid but I always knew that college was going to be amazing. I didn't really know what OU was all about but I was excited regardless.

The first three months were really fun, with parties and meeting new people but then OU stepped in and opened my eyes to what really was going on. Every day someone would get pulled over on OU's main road for going 25, every night around 5 students would get busted for MIP's / marijuana use. If you get caught you will get kicked out of the dorms the day you meet with the dean of students. The night watch is the best in MICHIGAN by far ( meaning if they think a student is intoxicated, they will call cops, NO WARNINGS). The RA's are students who never heard of the word alcohol meaning they will also call the cops if they think something is fishy going on. The faculty can give a shit about the students in their class. With that being said partying becomes only outside of the campus where there are only a couple spots but then outside you have to deal with the Auburn Hills cops ( where the city decided to put 30% of their funding towards). The reason I am stressing this is because if you are looking for a place where frat parties flourish and drinking in the dorms is safe, DON'T COME HERE.

The funny thing is that the students that go here are all amazing and great people who feel the same way about everything. So living on campus is the worst possible decision you can make. For example I lived in the same room but during that 3 month period I attended I had 3 different roomates who lived about an hour away. They decided to become commuters to a school that was an hour away and live with their parents, then live on campus. DO NOT go to OU and live on campus unless you really know, for sure, you will never drink.

WOW pretty rough huh. well I'm not done. I wasn't a commuter ( the majority of the students are commuters) but I heard that you have to arrive an hour early to get parking. So if you have an 8 o clock class and you live 30 min. away, guess what, you have to wake up around 6 in the morning. Also being a commuter makes it almost impossible to meet new people if you don't know anyone. The teachers are sub par. Everyone I knew at OU always was bragging how easy their class was and how pathetic there teacher is. There are some great teachers but most are very pathetic.

Overall, the teachers don't care for the students, the night watch/ RA's, etc.. take their job as serious as the military, and OU isn't even considered a good school. The reason I wrote so much is because I want people to stay away, experience an actual college life and succeed when they get out. This will not happen at OU.

To complete this outstanding essay I want everyone to know my story. I got drawn into the party scene way too fast and way too much which was a bad decision ( which half of the freshman do). I wasn't used to the amount of freedom I was in for and I was very naive about everything. I would drink and smoke in the room and got away with it for the first three months. Then I received an MIP because the wings were on and the RA called the cops. Being my stupid naive self I received a marijuana use charge the next night because my RA called the cops again. NO warning or heads up from him. I barely went to class because I was sooo turned off by OU. Overall I had 3.0 gpa for the first semester and got kicked out of the dorms. I am currently in my second semester of my freshman year and attending OCC where I save up to $7000. Oh yea OU is very expensive. Living on campus, the tuition, and books come to be around $8000. Yea….

Well I hope you have a better picture of OU and remember to your research about schools from the students perspective before you decide to choose where you want to go.

Peace