StudentsReview :: Radford University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Approachable, Broken Spirit, Closeminded

Friendly

Academic Success
D
He cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Mar 16 2009
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
I've attended on a full time basis The University of Texas (Austin), The University of Nevada at Las Vegas, Northern Virginia Community College, and Radford. As such, I feel fairly well suited to provide an objective overview of Radford. In brief, Radford is a place of extremes. It provided me with an opportunity to hear guest lectures from greats like Gilder, Vonnegut, Eli Wiesel, Maya Angelou, Steve Allen and and former Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg. Some of the visiting artists were also extremely memorable (REM, James Taylor, and "PDQ Bach"). Academically and socially, finding the right group of people is key. I was fortunate to get into a "quiet dorm" where many of the more serious students lived, and where I made most of my friends (many of which are now successful entrepreneurs, lawyers, community leaders and professionals). At the same time, the caliber of the professors was singly the worst of all the colleges I attended. With the exception of the honors level professors, which provided an outstanding academic experience, the rest of the RU professors were completely uninspiring and forgettable. I had contemplated RU for grad school, so I sat in on a educational technology class. When I heard the professor teaching the students how to use a slide presentation "clicker" I realized this was hardly the MIT Media Lab. I did not go to RU for grad school. To sum up: If you are a strong, self-directed learner but might be considered only an average student at someplace like JMU, then you might consider attending Radford for the opportunity to be the "big fish in a small pond" and flex your leadership muscles. Might also be a good place for someone who wants to prove themselves in a college environment after a somewhat lack-luster high school career and then transfer to a more challenging college. Now, all of this being said, my experience at Radford dates from the late 80's. I've followed the schools progress over the years and have seen a marked reduction in partying and a strong attempt by the administration to improve the degree of seriousness and its commitment to academic achievement. The new President, Kyle, seems determined to push the school in the right direction. At the same time, the quaint somewhat scenic town of Radford has become completely depressed economically due, ironically enough, to the change in the drinking age and, as is the sad case in many towns across the US, the building of a Wal-Mart. If the University wishes to improve the local environment, I suggest it but up and revitalize the town's Main Street for use as faculty offices, graduate student housing, and dining facilities.
Compare RadfordSave Radford