StudentsReview :: Lindenwood University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityA+ Extra CurricularsB+
SafetyA
Friendly, Approachable, Closeminded

ACT:31
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
Campus Maintenance
C-
Creativity/ Innovation
He cares more about Campus Maintenance than the average student.
Date: Apr 21 2009
Major: Music Education (This Major's Salary over time)
I did my touring of colleges and, for whatever reason, decided that Lindenwood was where I wanted to go. As soon as I started, I was able to meet my faculty and advisor and plan my courses and have my schedule planned out for the course of my degree. My advisor was very interested in getting me involved in his program as soon as possible. I found it very easy to make friends (I am an extrovert) and joined an awesome music fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha. The semester before I was to student teach, I changed my major to history. I found this to be quite easy to do and my history advisor did an excellent job helping me balance my schedule. I have always had helpful faculty who were willing to assist me when I asked, although not all of them were the best at teaching their subject. There are many sports teams and in the fall there is football, which the campus proudly supports. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding area of St. Charles and the proximity to St. Louis offer many opportunities for students to get out and about for fun, often for free or low cost.

The negatives that you hear about on this campus are often as follows and I will break them down for you:

Dangerous campus - yes, a man was shot near the campus. A drug deal went bad about a mile down the road and he was shot and died en-route to a hospital. I have lived in St. Charles county for eight years and feel completely safe walking around town. My female friends will agree, but everyone knows that it is wise for women to not be alone after dark ANYWHERE. As for the rape stories, they originated when visitation was not allowed and people would sneak into dorms and claim rape if they were caught in order to avoid getting in trouble. This is not a denial of rape ever happening at LU - rape unfortunately happens at every college, but LU is not a haven for rapists.

Second, you can call the police if you feel that their presence is necessary. I have personally done this and if the school had gotten mad at me I would have simply told them that it was too bad. Nothing they can do about it.

Lindenwood is a dry campus. If you are of age, you cannot drink on campus. However, you are in ST. CHARLES, which has a thousand bars within stumbling distance. In addition, most of the students are from the area. Make friends and go off campus to drink. Sound inconvenient? Have a good time someplace other than school. Partying in dorms is a lame concept. Get over it.

My negatives (to show I am not a Lindenwood troll):

Visitation: Dorms are same-sex. Interaction within the dorms is restricted to certain hours. As someone who remembers life before Dr. Evans became president, this is a step up. We didn't use to have it. Living in a campus house, I don't get visitation, which is annoying, but I have a car and can make do my own way.

Food: It's not as bad as Southeast Missouri State or Missouri State University, but it's pretty bad all the same. Fries, burgers, and hot dogs are all consistently edible.

Parking: There are tons of parking spaces on campus…where parking isn't needed. My advice? If you need a car, keep it by your dorm. This campus is extremely walkable and if you are not a commuter, you will not need your car to get to class.

Drivers: Student drivers here are terrible. Look both ways. Then look again before crossing.

Gen-Eds: This is a liberal arts college, so you have to take classes that don't apply to your major. You have some choice, and a number of them are quite good (I highly recommend anthropology courses), but most end up wasting your time.

Transfer Credits: Transferring in is tricky. Some credits will not transfer, but my advisors managed to get all of mine counted. Transferring out can be a nightmare (some of my friends have done this). If you are unsure about staying at LU, take gen-eds your first semester or two in case you transfer out.

Communication: The registrar's office doesn't communicate very well. Bills may be sent late, charges may be assessed, etc. New students often freak, but don't worry - just talk to your advisor and to the office and things will usually get worked out rather quickly. This is simply a side effect of a formerly small school growing too quickly. Things have improved over the last four years.

To conclude, I wouldn't have had my college experience any other way. I love it here at Lindenwood and know that many other students do too. I hope that this review is helpful and that you will listen to this review instead of the hateful garbage that some other people have posted here. My final advice to future students is to choose the school that you feel is right for you. If you don't like Lindenwood, don't go here. Find someplace that you will enjoy.

Coastal Carolina University (SC) 1:negative