StudentsReview :: Seattle Pacific University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Western Washington University -- Bellingham, WA

Seattle Pacific University

Alumni Survey

Date: Sep 20 2009
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
Seattle Pacific University is a wonderful school. 20 years later i still maintain strong friendships with people I went to school with, and some of the people I went to school with are now in positions with the school.

Seattle Pacific is five miles from the University of washington. I took ROTC classes at U of W, and I often would use the U of W libraires when doing research. SPU's own library when I attended was often best used as a research starting point. However, prominent sociologist Rodney Stark (formerly U of W now at Baylor) told me that there were some times materials related to religion that were only available at SPU's library.

What I got at SPU, and would not have gotten at the U of W was close intimate contact with my professors. One class I had four students and met in the professors office. Close contact with professors benefited me even in the case of one professor who I had difficulties with, and even though that professor was in my opinion very left-wing (he now teaches at another Christian College Consortium school), that professor did push me to think and defend my positions and I appreciate him for that.

Academically, SPU was a good fit for me, I would even say a perfect fit, but for some of my classmates it was not. Some people had trouble with the Christian environment. Some people wished that they had gone to a state school like U of W. I know I would have had trouble at the U of W, and I would have suffocated in that anonymous environment where you are just one number among thousands. The largest class I ever took at SPU had 70 people in it and it was sub-divided into study groups. This was the 100 level introductory psychology class. Typical class sizes were about 15 to 20 people.

As a committed Christian I attended SPU, because I wanted a Christian Environment. However, after coming to SPU it was not a Christian as I was expecting. This is just commentary. The school does have a Christian Worldview, and a strong christian community. However, at the time I went the Religion department was surprisingly weak, neo-orthodox, and liberal. As all of the professors are required to be committed christians, I found it surprising that some of the strongest believers were not in the school of religion. I don't know if this has changed, but two of the professors who I would level this charge at (Frank Spina and Robert Wall) are still there.

I took two religion classes at SPU, I took others previously elsewhere. If you wish to major in religion, or go into the ministry. There are much better alternatives to SPU. I think the strength of SPU, is that it is emphasizes a liberal arts education underlying your various majors. This has created in me a life long interest in learning.

I went to graduate school for one year before going to law school. SPU did adequately prepare me for additional schooling.

College is often what one makes of it. It can be a good experience or bad experience no matter where you go. But, what SPU offers is an environment that is different and more intimate that any state school, and an opportunity to develop relationships in the context of a Christian Community, and in sum that is why SPU is better experience than at a state school.

This ability to have th