StudentsReview :: The University of California - Santa Barbara - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of California -- San Diego, CA

University Resource Use
C
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
A
She cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Sep 27 2009
Major: Finance (This Major's Salary over time)
I am a freshman at UCSB. I was so excited to go to this prestigious UC, known to be very good for it's academics. The campus is absolutely beautiful, but I failed to find people like me. I was expecting a little bit more diversity at this school. I actually was called out by my professors to be the only African American female in the whole department. I should feel honored to be the only one but really? Out of 4,000 freshman, I am the only one? If I see three african americans besides me, that would be a upgrade. I really do not want to give a lot of negative feedback, but I really wish i wasn't the only one sticking out like a sore thumb everyday. If anyone wants to come to this school for diversity, this is definitely not the school for you. If you like to party 24/7, do drugs, and get hangovers everymorning, this is the school for you…

questionHi im also an african american female. i'm a senior this year. the high school i go to is predominately white. i've already applied to uc's and three private schools all in california. right now i'm kind of regretting not applying to a predominately black college. i was just wondering if you've ever had those sentiments?
responseThere isn't a finance major at UCSB - only Biz Econ.
questionSo even though your the only african america in your department, is everyone still nice to you on campus and in your department ? Also how do the kids there feel about out of state students ? I from ohio, african - american, and UCSB seems to be the perfect blend of academics and social life so I would definitely like to attend.
responseAll UC's barely have any blacks. Just check their diversity stats. Less than 3% black! but I'm black too! and I chose UCSB in order to prove that blacks can go to big schools. So get over it and meet some non-blacks.
Compare UCSB/UC-Santa BarbaraSave UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara