StudentsReview :: The Minneapolis College of Art and Design - Extra Detail about the Comment
Search for Schools by Region

or within distance of city

Similar Schools
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA
Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL

  Who's got the Best?

Perceptual Rankings:
You Make 'Em.
We Post 'Em.
You Vote 'Em Up.
You Vote 'Em Down.
Aww yeah.

The Minneapolis College of Art and Design

How this student rated the school
Educational QualityB Faculty AccessibilityA+
Useful SchoolworkA- Excess CompetitionA-
Academic SuccessA- Creativity/ InnovationA
Individual ValueC+ University Resource UseA+
Campus Aesthetics/ BeautyC+ FriendlinessB+
Campus MaintenanceA- Social LifeB+
Surrounding CityA+ Extra CurricularsA
Describes the student body as:
Friendly, Arrogant, Approachable, Snooty, Closeminded

Describes the faculty as:
Friendly, Helpful

Lowest Rating
Individual Value
Highest Rating
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Oct 02 2009
Major: Art & Design Department (This Major's Salary over time)
I came to MCAD to pursue a cartooning degree, but after beginning my senior year, I'm beginning to question my decision making. This school really rides you, they expect a lot out of you and if they don't GET a lot out of you, you better rethink your life. I've been doing pretty good up till now. But like I said, I'm suddenly rethinking things. Now is not the time to pursue a degree in something "fun" or "something you enjoy." It's VERY difficult to live on an artist's salary (the teacher's will let you know this pretty regularly, they have no illusions) and it's NOT something that's easily attained. My heart's not in this anymore, and if you are thinking of coming here and you're not in it 100% you will not succeed. Plain and simple.

On the other hand, this is an excellent school. I can't tell you how much I've improved technically since I came here. My drawings are amazing, the classes are great, the teachers (most of them) know what they're doing and the students are all ready and willing to give advice on your art. It's a very supportive atmosphere, in fact a lot of the graduates will say the thing they miss most since graduation is the MCAD community. (Personally, I think 90% of everyone here is a really horrible, arrogant hipster, but the other 10% makes up some of the greatest people I could have ever hoped to meet.)

Also, don't come here planning to get a boyfriend/girlfriend. Um. MCAD isn't really a school known for it's good looks. And artists are SOOO dramatic. Haha. (Seriously, if you come here single, please do yourself a favor and do NOT date anyone here. Date only people outside of the MCAD bubble.)

Ask a Question or add a response!