StudentsReview :: Winona State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Broken Spirit, Snooty, Closeminded

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

ACT:24
Safety
He cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Date: Nov 12 2009
Major: Undecided (This Major's Salary over time)
Winona State University is a joke of a school for any serious student. Early into the process at WSU I quickly realized just how the school operates. The school definitely gives off the impression that it is just after your money. There are people going here that are so stupid I wondered how they even graduated High School, much less are at a university. You could be half brain dead and still be admitted into Winona as the school is simply after your money, smarts have nothing to do with it. The teachers at this university are horrible, I felt like I had better teachers on the high school level than I did here. The entire time I went to WSU, I felt I wasn't learning much at all. You could probably take more challenging courses at your local community college than you'll find here. I did exceptionally well considering I seldom attended many classes ( the classes are so easy you needn't go often to do well). The faculty at this school are also terrible. It seemed like everytime I needed an answer to a simple question I had to make about 5 phone calls and meet with three different people to get anything accomplished. WSU tells you nothing about the way it functions and does nothing to help point you in the right direction when you need help. It feels like you are given the run around and spend hours meeting with other people or making phone calls to solve something simple that should have taken way less time. The student body of winona state further reinforces my negative opinion of this university. Most of the students attending WSU come from the small towns and villages in Northern WI and Southeastern MN. They view Winona as the big city and think its the most exciting place they've ever seen. The student body all seems to share in common being a close minded, opinionated group of individuals. It feels like you meet the same type of people over and over in this small town. The social life here is practically non existant. Other than a small house party scence which features the same characters week after week (gets old and boring extremely fast, trust me) there isn't much to do on weekends. Winona gives off the vibe of High School: version 2 as it seems the majority of the students are cliquey groups of friends who stick together and lack the desire to hang out with anyone not in their social category. Another main criticism I have of WSU is lack of things to do in Winona itself. Theres just not enough to do in Winona to keep students from getting sick of the town. There is an extreme lack of businesses and restaurants in this area which also makes it quite difficult for students to find work. WSU is also definately a suitcase college. I can count more weekends where Winona turned into a ghost town due to almost all of the students going home than I can weekends where most people stayed in Winona. My main praise of WSU is that the town of Winona itself is absolutely gorgeous, located right along the Mississippi and having the natural beauty of the bluffs surrounding it. This however nice does not save WSU from a poor rating as it fails in so many other important factors.

To all incoming freshman considering WSU, I would reccomend against it. If your from a bigger city you will find the city of Winona to be extremely lackluster as well as the small town student body from NW Wisconsin and SE Minnesota. There is very little to do in this area and the School is terrible. If you are after a serious degree and have a goal in mind, WSU is not the place for you. If you are hoping to skate through college with minimal effort and spend your time in a small town with the same cliquey groups of people doing the same thing weekend after weekend, WSU would be perfect you.

questionI see your feelings about WSU weren't the best, and to tell you the truth mine are some what similar. I was wondering if you transferred out and if so where to. I'm currently debating between going back to WSU or going over the river to UW-LAX. The thing holding me back is that i am so formilliar with Winona and everything around it that it's hard to let go and leave my friends. SO basically just hoping for some advice! THANKS
Compare WSUSave WSU