StudentsReview :: Saint Michael's College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA
Friendly, Approachable, Closeminded

Extra Curriculars
C+
She cares more about Extra Curriculars than the average student.
Date: Nov 20 2009
Major: Unknown (This Major's Salary over time)
I am not your typical St. Mike's student. I am a conservative male from the south and I do not ski or party. The majority of the students hail from New England and are of extremely liberal to left wing thought and they all ski and they all party hard.

That being said, I am a freshman political science and religious studies major. I could not be happier with my decision to attend St. Michael's.

The academic quality from what I've experiencd so far has been fantastic. The professors truly care about their students and are almost always willing to help you out if you are struggling. I don't just take 100 level classes so it isn't a matter of teachers only doing this for intro classes.

One of the best things about St. Mike's is how friendly everyone is. Everyone is approachable. The people at SMC truly want to be there. Upperclassman students are almost always helpful toward freshman. Redsox and Yankee fans can exist in peace as can hippies and straight edge kids. You will make a ton of friends at St. Mike's right off the bat. The school goes the extra mile to make freshman feel welcome.

I really can't comment on the party scene because I don't party or drink. My friends who do however say it's great but seniors can be snobs about letting freshman into parties.

Now for my only complaints. Students can be closed minded. By this I am not referring to the usual definition. The campus body is so overwhelmingly liberal that anyone who does not subscribe to their expectation of "tolerance" will not be tolerated. Conservatives can be looked down upon, so just a heads up on that. If you are not an environmentalist you should be prepared to defend yourself. If you are a minority like myself but you don't subscribe to diversity politics, you might get some flack.

This being said, don't let it discourage you because aside from that, this school is GREAT. I love it and could not be happier. You will not regret coming to St. Michael's College!

questionAre there any good extra- curriculars that you or someone who doesn't drink can participate in? ex. movie nights, bingo, idk
I love your quip about the "tolerance". Right on the money. My son is on his way to St. Mike's and that prevailing Liberal attitude is the one thing I fear. I am keeping my fingers crossed in that they won't hijack his mind.
Saint Michael's College