StudentsReview :: Grand Canyon University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Closeminded

Unhelpful

Safety
A
She cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Dec 22 2009
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
I finished an Associates Degree at a local community college several years ago and debated whether to go for a Bachelors. At first GCU seemed like a good option with reasonable tuition, extremely helpful counselors, and the ability to earn my degree completely online. Unfortunately I failed to find out beforehand the school is a Baptist college and stresses religion quite heavily. That, though, was my fault. With the end of the Fall semester, the school made some MAJOR changes, changes that affected degree plans, curriculum, and tuition without any notice to the students. The changes were only discovered when my roommate (who is also attending GCU online) double-checked her class schedule for the spring. The class she enrolled in was originally called "World Religions." With the changes in curriculum, the class changed to "Christian Worldview". Also, most of the classes under the new changes are 4 instead of 3 credits per class and they raised their tuition rates. This made every class more expensive, meaning my financial aid would no longer cover all the classes I was enrolled in for the spring. Where my financial aid covered 3 classes in the fall including textbooks and a refund, the new way barely covers two classes, not including money for books. The degree plan I signed up for no longer has half of the classes I would need to get a proper job in my chosen field. They are now all theory with no practical application. Again, these were all changes made with no notice to ANY students. The financial aid department is very hard to get in contact with. Anyone wanting a good education online should look elsewhere as the longer I am a student, the more shady the dealings seem to be when dealing with GCU. Aside from all the poor business practices, the classes themselves are a joke. The professors do not have to be professionals in the field in which they teach. One of my communications classes was taught by a lab manager for a pharmaceuticals company. The level of education I feel I am receiving at GCU will not carry over into the workforce or transfer to other schools. I will say that not all of the teachers are that ineffective. I loved my Research Writing teacher. Overall, the school is a waste of time, money, and effort. DO NOT GO!! In retrospect, I wish I'd read some of the other reviews here on GCU before enrolling. It would've saved me many headaches. As of Fall 2010, I will be attending a different school. Unfortunately, it looks like I may be stuck finishing out the Spring semester at GCU so as not to default on student loans.
Compare GCUSave GCU