StudentsReview :: St Olaf College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA+
Friendly, Arrogant, Approachable, Snooty

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant

ACT:32
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
C
Faculty Accessibility
He cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Dec 31 2009
Major: Music - Composition/Theory (This Major's Salary over time)
St. Olaf College will definitely give you a fine education should you choose to attend. Professors are accessible and open, and professors give out their home numbers with regularity. People are generally pretty friendly, although you might get sick of the lack of a significant social scene. If you're going into music (especially singing or classical piano), and you keep up with the practicing, you will certainly become a skilled musician. Overall, this is a very good school, but there are aspects that have left me desiring more.

I personally would have liked to be in an urban area having attended St. Olaf for a semester; obviously this is no reflection on the quality of the academics, just a personal thing. Also, the social aspect can be somewhat high school-esque at times; people talk behind each others' backs rather than be upfront about things much of the time. As another review stated, you had better find your friends during first semester or you might have difficulties. However, I disagree with the statement that you'll find friends only in your area of study, as I have friends from my dorm, from certain classes, and from my major as well as those random friends that just kind of popped up.

Like I said, St. Olaf is a good school all things considered. Financial aid has been absolutely top notch, meeting my needs quite well. Professors are knowledgeable and helpful, generally speaking. I hear talk that we have exceptional graduate school placement rates (comparable to Ivy Leagues!) and that national prestige is growing every year. I would recommend St. Olaf to anyone without hesitation.

questionHow is the composition/theory part of the music department, as you are labeled? That's what I'm interested in, so I'd like to hear.
Compare SOCSave SOC