StudentsReview :: Oakland University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Closeminded

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

ACT:26
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Jan 05 2010
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
I've resisted finding a place to "vent" about my issues with OU for the last 2 years. I think I've reached a point where its time…

This school, specifically The FinAid Dept, Admissions, and SOME Profs, are extremely unhelpful. In fact, I would say they stand in the way more often than offering assistance (god forbid you need it). The Financial Aid dept is at best inept. The correspondence with students is almost non-existent. For instance if something goes wrong with your Fasfa you find out when they?ve either a) charged you a late fee b) put a hold on your account or c) both, none of which happens until the end of the semester leaving you scrambling trying to figure out what the heck happened (and no, they do not help you try and figure it out). Finally, worse than being unhelpful they are often rude and/or condescending instead of being understanding and compassionate. As for the Professors I?ll say this: I?ve had probably 2-3 of the best professors ever at OU. Most recently I had Dr. Godlasky who was simply awesome. Her class was one of the easier taken just by the nature of the subject matter (Lit 105?) but she was one of the few professors who actually cared about her students and subject matter she was teaching. Professor K was another one worth mentioning. She taught RHT which for a logical thinking person is probably harder than Calc2 but again she cared about the students and their success. FYI ? she did not grade easily!!! Unfortunately the rest were average at best and a few were downright ruthless, disrespectful, and? bad. I?ll refrain from mentioning ones name but she was an acct Prof (210 I believe). I actually witnessed her make a girl cry because she collected HW while the girl stepped out to use the bathroom and wouldn?t accept the girls HW? I mean really? It still leaves me speechless. She taught directly from a slide presentation and when asked a question most of the time she would answer by saying she would get to it later? which she rarely did. She distinctly gave the impression that she was always trying to push her students or a specific student to a break point. She seemed to thrive on it. It was simply bazaar to watch. There have been enough bad ratings about her on pick-a-prof to find her and I would highly suggest you do so before taking any acct at OU.

If you are working professional i.e. 8-5 type job it is next to impossible to graduate from OU. Very few classes are offered at night and when it gets the point where you need a specific class to move into the degree program or worse yet graduate you?ll find it very difficult to avoid being left with empty semesters. Which brings me back to the faculty; I?ve seen probably 6 different advisors and none of them understands my position and not one of them could help guide me in a positive direction.

I would never say ?avoid this school at all cost? especially if you are an incoming freshman or full time student. I would only warn you to chose wisely, if you have another option explore it, if not be prepared to become an expert in running degree evaluations and financial aid. Find off campus help with these things or find an upper classmen and ask him/her/them for help. However, if you are a working professional and you want to finish a bachelor?s degree I would seriously look elsewhere. OU?s degree won?t get you any farther than Walsh, Davenport or even DeVry so save yourself the headache and try a school that is actually competing and pursuing for your tuition dollars. The notion of OU being affordable by the way is fricken absurd! It?s propaganda they?ve been spreading because they raised tuition again. It?s no cheaper than MSU, WMU, EMU or any others.

Compare OaklandSave Oakland