StudentsReview :: Washington State University - Vancouver - Extra Detail about the Comment

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

SAT1950
Average
University Resource Use
Campus Maintenance
He cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Date: Jan 06 2010
Major: Biology (This Major's Salary over time)
I've thought about this extensively and I'll address each point independently. The biology department is excellent and I feel that each faculty member actually cares. Some of the classes could be structured better, but I would say that I have learned something out of most every class I have taken. The biggest problem within the department is there seems to be a large contingent of students who try and just float by in this major, but I think that is to be expected when you have a large amount of transfer students from community colleges who just stopped caring (although there are many exceptions and I almost always find someone in each class that is friendly and thoughtful.

The university itself is fine although it is worth mentioning that this is not Pullman. I cannot overstate this enough, this is not the typical college experience and it is fundamentally different (also I hear the classes are easier, which seems to be true). The campus is pretty but who gives a fuck.

This university, being a commuter campus, is what you make of it more so than others where you are more likely to be forced into social situations. There aren't many available jobs on campus and the events that are held are just an afterthought that are attended almost exclusively by those who make them (except for bowling which is well-attended and fun). This is turning into a stream of consciousness. My first year was rough and I disliked the environment as it felt very much like high-school 2.0 and I made very few friends. The students on campus are generally downtrodden, close-minded, conservatives with a penchant for bible study (one again many exceptions) but c'est la vie. I have come to like the university now that I spend a significant amount more time on campus than my freshmen year and have made a couple good friends. Doesn't feel like a community. Had some good classes. I've saved a bunch of money living at home…

Washington State University - Vancouver