StudentsReview :: Walden University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Walden University

Alumni Survey

Super Brilliant
Date: Jan 20 2010
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
Walden University is not for everyone, and it seems to me like the negative comments on StudentsReview are from those who were simply not successful. The university is not to blame. I have a friend with credentials from Emory who cannot seem to find a job. He too blames his university for his failures… which I do not think is fair.

I earned a Ph.D. in Applied Management and Decision Sciences from WU in 2009. Approximately one month after graduating, I acquired an academic appointment as Assistant Professor at an AACSB accredited institution. While I agree that it was not the Walden "brand" or lack of pedigree that landed me the position, I believe that it was the knowledge, skill-set, and experience that I gained from WU that solidified me as a strong candidate for the position.

My PhD program took me 5 years to complete. These were very tough years. While I was not 100% happy with the program, I took the pain and headache in stride. This is because from January 2008 to now (January 2010), I have been published 22 times in peer reviewed and/or professional journals. I have over 18 presentations on my CV that range from Yale University to University at Albany SUNY. I was recently appointed to the review board of two international conferences that will release a peer reviewed journal from each. I also sit on the editorial board for 3 peer review journals. (The funny part is that at Walden, your dissertation chair/advisor does not take the credit for your work as would a professor at a traditional institution.)

I now soley teach in an MBA program. I find that many students come into the program with unrealistic expectations of faculty, services, and the administration. They want to be coddled and hand-fed knowledge. Many of them cheat and come into the program unprepared and have absolutely know knowledge of how to write an essay. To that end, I have come to realize that the GMAT is really a joke because it indicates nothing more than an individual's ability to take a timed exam.

As with my institution, I think this is a huge issue at Walden (even more so since it doesn't require GMAT or GRE). The common argument is that "I am paying for this degree"… but students fail to realize that they're not "buying" a degree. Many of them do not put in the work necessary to be successful and many make up excuses. Case in point, I recently had two students to go over my head to the Dean and report me because they received their second C in the program. Needless to say, they were excused from the program and wanted to blame me.

All in all, Walden University is an excellent institution. It has a rigorous research agenda, and all dissertations are available for the world to view via ProQuest. If there is a real question about the quality of the institution and it's programs, they can be answered in the published dissertations.

The bottom line is this… A Walden education is a solid education. It will get you where you need to be IF you put in the work necessary to get things done.

Best of luck to you all!

Coastal Carolina University (SC) 1:negative