StudentsReview :: Oakland University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Condescending, Self Absorbed

Useful Schoolwork
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
B
She cares more about Creativity/ Innovation than the average student.
Date: Feb 22 2010
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
Okay. FIRST let's talk about Fin Aid. I transfered to OU. Other fin aid departments at other universities had their acts together (meaning you had books, supplies, etc when classes start), but at OU, your semester could be halfway over and still no aid done! Oh and get this, my brother is still there and since they did not process his aid on time, he got dropped out of his classes and is not attending this semester, meaning he has to attend ALL SUMMER. Apparently the people in the financial aid office say Financial aid is a privilege and it's not their problem if you don't have money for books until it's processed. Uh…what? Charge it to the person's account like a normal school, then subtract from impending Fin aid. told them this. They made up BS. Excuses. That's not all. I met with the assistant director person of Fin Aid, who said aid wouldn't be done until November. (and the semester ends 2nd week of dec. Seriously? WTF) They don't know what they're doing in there and they have the nerve to cut aid after the promise is gone, etc, but increase tuition by a ton. I would hate to see what kind of fin aid process the future med students would have to go through since their tuition'll be through the roof. They try to blame it on not having paperwork but a) paperwork was in asap (meaning as soon as fafsa was filled out and b)Never filled taxes, so i had to have a stupid non-filing form that you can't get until JUNE (after tax season so the gov't knows you're not going to file) an that takes a little bit to get.

I graduated in April 09 with a Bachelor's in English. Decided to pursue a Second bach at Eastern. Guess what? I was accepted in Early Julyish (after my degree was posted) AND I got not only my acceptance letter, but my financial aid letter as well. Everything was done. No other forms needed. Didn't even have to think about it. DID NOT NEED ANY STUPID NON FILING FORM, SO YOU SEE THIS OU? YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT ARE STUPID ON THAT FRONT!!! YOU CLAIMED EVERY SCHOOL DID IT BUT THEY DON'T!

Now onto the advising people I was supposed to have Graduated the year before, but guess what? I got a letter saying I still needed this class. It's not like I never went to advising. I went every freaking semester since I transferred to OU. So of course, I had to stay. Fantastic.

THEN the English department. A couple of professors are okay. Aside from that, you don't learn anything. At all. I haven't changed anything about my writing between now and then. I write my papers the same way, yet the arrogant members of that department that I've had graded me lower than I'm being graded at Eastern. (All As on papers so far!)

So if you want advice, then don't go there. Nothing to do, everything sucks, and for the most part, you'll be staring at South Foundation Hall for the majority of your time there. Student activities are lacking and there really isn't anything to do.

questionHello! I'm in your same boat, the Financial Aid department is absolutely horrible. I'm trying to find other students who have also gone through this. With the recent 11% tuition hike, I'm amazed that they can't get their act together. I've attended Wayne State, U of M-Dearborn and now Oakland, never had I had this amount of problems and "date order" processing times. Forms submitted 7/22 on 8/19 I finally get an update, not through email, I had to check daily. I was missing a signature, so ok sign it send it back. Nope. Sent back same day, marked received 8/19…I'm still waiting for them to re-review that completed signature! Tuition bill due today, and I get to pay a late fee, because the financial aid department doesn't have their act together! F-ing Ridiculous!! I'm a Comm major, and want to bring this story out! If you are willing to answer some questions, and know anyone else, it would be appreciated. OU seems to try and hide any controversy, well they are going to get it front and center!
Compare OaklandSave Oakland