StudentsReview :: Washington State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Helpful, Self Absorbed

SAT1870
D
Safety
He cares more about Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty than the average student.
Date: Mar 19 2010
Major: Sociology (This Major's Salary over time)
Well, I'm a junior now, so I'd say I know this school pretty well.

First of all, the academics aren't nearly as bad as some people in the outside world perceive them to be. I've had a fantastic education in sociology and philosophy in the time that I've been here, and the professors in these departments are nothing short of awesome. Definitely friendly, definitely want you to succeed if you show to them that you care. Unfortunately, that's because caring about academics makes a WSU student somewhat exceptional.

The student population here is definitely not ambitious, and sometimes I feel as though they're here out of protocol for the next step after high school. Many don't even see studying as worthy of their attention, and then complain when their grades aren't spectacular. Of course, intelligent people can be found - just don't expect them to be the norm. One positive thing I will say about the student population is that it is teeming with school spirit. This is a community of people who love their community. To that end, everyone is welcomed and respected as a cougar.

Going back to professors. I have had some lackluster professors in other departments. The heavy General Education program requirements bring down the experience because, in my case, it forced me to deal with unsavory professors in departments I wasn't too favorable towards to begin with. Really reminded me that there ARE unprofessional and unskilled professors here. However, avoiding them in your studies is possible - I can't tell you how useful ratemyprofessor.com is…But still, vastly more excellent professors than there are terrible or even mediocre professors.

As far as the social life goes, I consider myself well-rounded and knowledgeable because I was a member of two fraternities simultaneously (a professional one and a social one) and have recently left them both to experience the other side of WSU. Yes, the social world around here is heavily slanted towards fraternity involvement, but 80% of students aren't involved with any and get by just fine. If you're creative, it's incredibly easy to find other clubs and events going on at all times. Still, if you are religiously opposed to alcohol, you may find yourself somewhat socially isolated, though I know many who casually abstain and still love WSU. And should you choose to join a fraternity/sorority, you will never, not ONCE, feel uninvolved.

Pullman, however, sucks. Those who come from larger cities and expect the urban culture to provide some enjoyment or reprieve from student life will have a most unfortunate realization the moment they lay eyes on the town itself. It has a single movie theater, countless bars, and a good handful of restaurants, but little else. Unless you are from a small town yourself, you will thirst for the city.

Oh, and the cops. Watch out for them, they seem to have a strong disdain for everyone.

Compare WSUSave WSU