StudentsReview :: California State University Monterey Bay - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Friendly, Arrogant

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant, Condescending

Social Life
C-
He cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Mar 31 2010
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
First think I will say, and the first thing I tell everyone who is thinking about going here, CSUMB is NOT for everyone. That aside, my experience in the ESTP department has been amazing. My professors know my name and which class I'm from, which is rare for a CSU. The classes you take in this major are focused and experience based. For example, you don't just sit in class and look at skeletons and stuffed animals in your bio 1 class, but you actually go out into the dunes and count plants to add to 10 years of data. In your Geology classes, you go out and find outcrops, draw the contour lines yourself, and interpret the data. This, for me, was amazing. I don't want my learning experience to be all in the class room.

CSUMB, though, is not for everyone. I have many friends who found the campus boring. It is a drive into Monterey, which at best is a small touristy beach town with not very much night life. However, if you are a beach lover, you can walk to the beach from your dorms and can go hiking in the BLM lands which are right behind campus.

CSUMB is not a campus that will wipe your nose for you, at least in my experience. You have to be motivated and often have to be repetitive to get what you need done done. Don't expect that administration to hold your hand though your college experience. Do a little research, find out what you need to get done, and plan your college experience. With changes to housing this semester, freshmen housing should no longer be impacted, and if you are a transfer student or a Jr/Sr don't expect to live on campus. There are great options for housing in East Campus, which are condos designed for Seniors, Grad Students and Families. The area around has ample condos and apartments, but you are living on the ocean so it can be a bit pricey.

Overall, my experience at CSUMB has been great. Tour the school first, talk to people who go there and decide for yourself whether you think that CSUMB will meet your needs. I know that it has met mine.

Compare CSUMB/CSMBSave CSUMB/CSMB