StudentsReview :: Grand Canyon University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Grand Canyon University

Survey is Blank

Excess Competition
B-
She cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Apr 01 2010
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
My experience was fine the first enrollment until I chose to leave courses to take a break. My leave of absence process was not explained to me completely as to how long I could take. When I submitted the paperwork, I got a letter it was denied. Then I got a bill in the mail. I was told it was an error on their part and then I got a call from a collections rep three months later. After disputing for weeks with the collections agency, I got an e-mail (not a call) from a mitigator. He told me that I was technically still enrolled even after I had e-mail and printed proof I had asked to be withdrawn from courses after my LOA was denied. After showing him the e-mails he said he would get rid of the debt I owed if I agreed to take two more classes. I made it very clear several times that reaching me by phone is nearly impossible due to time differences and my schedule. After two missed attempts and several e-mails (the first week he e-mailed daily and responded within hours, now I'm lucky to get one e-mail per week now that I have agreed) he has told me that the policies on financial aid change in TWO DAYS and that is as long as I have to see if I can get financial aid to accept me for the next two classes or there will be nothing I can do to rectify the financial aid going into collections and I am starting to get collections letters and calls again. Completely unprofessional and non helpful once they string you into something. They basically had my entire financial aid and did not withdraw me like I asked them to. I was on an LOA for over a year until the mitigator opened my account and withdrew me - even after I had enrolled in another university. It is ridiculous the amount of hoops you have to go through to get anyone to call you back in the first place. Only when they think you might involve a lawyer do they actually step in and pretend to help you. Then they turn you around and do the same thing they did the first time. The classes are decent, equivalent to any online class, but you can get such better service and a cheaper way to go through it by attending a local university or community college. I would never consider going back to UoP after this experience. If they wanted to turn around my opinion, they would have been appreciative to my situation where I don't have the time during my day to sit out and make a million phone calls and prove that I have been in the right and I don't need them to "grant me" the money they say I owe - I never should have owed it, and my "mitigator" took it to his "supervisor" who says they agree. I worked in Customer Service, and it's probably not his supervisor. I'm sure it's well within the lowest scope of the spectrum of things that he can do to get a student to come back just so they can hold your money a little longer. Ugh!
Compare GCUSave GCU