StudentsReview :: Washington State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Arrogant, Approachable, Snooty

Friendly, Helpful, Condescending, Unhelpful

D
Safety
He cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Apr 13 2010
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
First off, GO Cougs! I am currently a Freshmen here at WSU and have had a crazy year.

To start off, I'm not a partier—which is a little bit of a bummer here at Wazzu. Campus is highly Greek oriented, which just wasn't for me. So, it can get a bit dull, but there is always something happening. The trick to Wazzu is who you know. If you like to party, join a Frat or Sorority or know someone in one. If you don't like to party, you'll have to be a little more creative, but it is completely possible to find non-partiers.

The academics: Oh man. This is where I disagree with many people. Some of the majors are superb; Arch, Agriculture, Hospitality management, and Veterinary. The school of comm and the school of business have a good reputation—for a state school. Here, you'll learn how it works versus learning how to use it. A lot of the private schools I've looked at go MUCH deeper than Wazzu. Also, I haven't been impressed with the classes and class size. My smallest class is about 40 and my largest is 400. Professors are really hit or miss. I've had some that were decent, but I've had a lot of really crappy ones. I had no excellent ones, which was really disappointing. So in regards to academics, I can only recommend this school if you cannot afford or don't want to go to a private school. If you want easy courses and just get college over with, Wazzu is great.

I'm leaving because I want liberal arts. I want to double major in Musical Theatre and Marketing. WSU is cutting all performing arts and a lot of the fine art programs. One thing to weary about—WSU spends its money on athletics. Specifically their new athletic director that is guaranteed 478,000 bucks a year for the next 7 years. Also, our president gets 200,000 bucks a month. Education is dropping, but their salaries are rising.

Dorms suck! All freshmen live in dorms. As soon as you become a sophomore, everyone moves to apartments or the house. I was placed in Gannon-Goldsworthy. The one thing I do have to say is that I do have the best floor on campus. Our entire floor is like a giant group of brothers. We all party together, take care of each other, study together, eat together, and hang out together. So like I said earlier, it's all about who you become friends with.

Wazzu can be a great school if you just want you education cheap and want to just hang out while you get it. If you want the college years you see on tv, the ones that shape your life, where you pull college level nerd shenanigans, study like no other, and have crazy opportunities—choose a private school. I've loved my time here, but I can't wait to leave at the same time.

Compare WSUSave WSU