StudentsReview :: Grand Valley State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

Arrogant, Closeminded

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
B+
He cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: May 10 2010
Major: Social Work (This Major's Salary over time)
We spent weeks debating Freud in 300 and 400 level classes. Lots of theory no method; the courses repeated the same thing. It was convenient to already know what would be on the test but the classes didnt teach any real skills. We just read a little more about the same theories over and over with each passing year.

Dr. Hanyes was a professor who tried to make an impression by screaming at his class. Other professors taught from the book. Nobody made any waves and the effect was an easy pass. Read the chapter, you're good; the lectures just repeat what was in the text, nothing more.

When I left, I discovered that I needed to know much more to get employed in the field of social work. GVSU told me I would make 45K with a job from their program over and over again. They were only marketing their program and they lied. The Social Work Curriculum lacked method and it left some difficulty getting into a decent graduate school like the University of Michigan. I had to attend antoher university and take additional courses because the GVSU curriculum just didn't prepare me for anything and it was not respected by several universities.

If you have a disability, don't do it. They will try to get you into this accommodation program that works for some, but if your condition carries a stigma it can hurt you. It's a great attraction with the promise of untimed tests but the price too high. The professors asked illegal questions about my disability and if I didnt answer them, they stated assumptions and moved on.

Grand Valley State University