StudentsReview :: Mankato State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityB Extra CurricularsB-
SafetyA-
Approachable

ACT:30
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #977500; line-height:80px';float:left;
Friendliness
C+
Safety
A-
He rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Jun 09 2010
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
Just know what you're getting into if you want to go to MSU. It's a relatively unknown state school in a relatively unknown town.

That being said, it really isn't that bad. The academics and resources are surprisingly good—of the nine professors I experienced classes with, all but two were friendly and helpful (and only ONE of these two seemed like they had no idea what they were talking about.) The library had all the resources I needed and more, and the Student Union is pretty good, too. The school gets good bands to come to campus, and campus is actually quite scenic. If you are looking for a "top rate" program, you probably don't want to come to MSU, but from what I HEAR, it's possible to have a great time AND be challenged academically.

But, I didn't have a good time, and here's why: I transferred in and had a tough time there, so I ended up transferring back out after a semester and a half (it's like I always tell people,

the problem wasn't just the school, it was me, too.
) Unless you know a ton of people who are going to this school, I highly advise against transferring in. It was virtually impossible to make friends or meet anyone, and since I didn't live on campus, I felt basically no connection to the school.

Again, MSU is what it is, as far as small state schools go it's a pretty good one. The "intellectual" atmosphere is pretty low here, but it exists. If you have the grades/motivation to go to a better school, I would recommend it, but you could do a lot worse than MSU.

Johnson State College (VT) 1:negative