StudentsReview :: Holy Names University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyF
Friendly, Approachable

Faculty Accessibility
A
She cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Jun 14 2010
Major: Nursing (This Major's Salary over time)
Holy Names University is horrible!!!

THE POSITIVES:

1. HNU has free tutoring, free printing, and free computer usage.

2. Most of the students and professors are great!

3. The view of the Bay Area on campus is BEAUTIFUL!

THE NEGATIVES:

First off, let me explain explain the campus & its location. There are way TOO MANY stairs to climb to get to and from class. This campus is built on a hill, so if you don't have a car you will be climbing a steep hill to get to the store. The campus has a Safeway, CVS, and a few other places down the street that is walking distance. If you want to go anywhere else, you need a car or you will be on the bus. The surrounding neighborhood is safe, but if you go down the hill it becomes ghetto.

DORM LIFE: The dorms are RAGGEDY and the bathrooms are disgusting. Have fun waking up every morning to a toilet full of vomit. Have fun getting in a shower full of hair and dirt! Living on campus was not a joy at all. The food is beyond disgusting and inedible. I survived most of my year on the pizza, cereal, and cup of noodles! I rarely used any of my meals from my meal plan. There are clubs to join, but theyre boring! HNU puts together trips sometimes on the weekends and things to do. They'll take you in the university van. Other than that, dorm life is non-existent. If you're looking for a party school, HNU is NOT it.

THE STUDENTS & FACULTY: Some of the students are snooty and stuck up because they come from rich families. They will look down on you like a piece of dirt. BUT most of the students are very friendly and easy to get along with. There are a lot of cool foreign exchange students from around the world. MOST of the professors genuinely care and WANT you to pass. They are always available after class and during their office hours. There is little to no professors of color at this university. There are quite a few professors who speak horrible English, therefor making it hard for you to understand..thus you failing the class.

COURSEWORK: I honestly did not find any of my classes hard or challenging. I usually failed all tests and midterms and my final grades were still B's. The professors will gladly give you extra credit if your grades are suffering. The only classes that were challenging were sciences and ISAC courses. Showing up to classes are a must because it is usually a big percentage of your grade. I know a lot of students who cheated on tests and were never caught.

A lot of the students on campus are nursing and psychology majors. The nursing program is a complete JOKE! Its funny how a lot of people were denied entry into the program, yet the freshman class president (who is a marijuana smoker and a thief) was accepted into the program. An older male student in his 30s-40s who said he was a recovering alcoholic was also accepted! Are these the type of people HNU wants to become nurses? Nurses have peoples lives in their hands and they choose a marijuana smoker and an alcoholic to go into this profession!

They gave me work study, yet there are little to no jobs available on campus. Since I couldn't find a job, I had to pay back the remaining amount out of pocket! People were stealing dishes out of the cafeteria, so students who lived on campus were charged each semester! There are cameras in the cafeteria, so why aren't they being monitored?? I had a guest come over, and he parked in the disabled spot (disabled placard was in the window). I received a $250 dollar ticket in the mail!! The lady in charge of campus security is VERY rude. Students are discouraged from appealing tickets, because

they won't win anyway.
HNU is money hungry, and find a way to charge you for ANY and EVERYTHING.

In my opinion, damn near 40k a year is not worth an education at HNU. If you are looking to attend here, good luck!!! Only 17% of HNU's students graduate!! Get your education elsewhere and make sure it is worth the money. I would have been better off attending the local community college. The only positive thing I have to say about HNU is the great professors and the lovely friends I made.

STAY AWAY!!