StudentsReview :: Ferrum College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Broken Spirit

SAT1360
Faculty Accessibility
A
He cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Jun 18 2010
Major: History/Histories (art history/etc.) (This Major's Salary over time)
Save yourself some time and just go drink beer in an open field.
Within my first month, I heard this comment shouted openly by an irate student into her cellphone, presumably to try to convince her parents to get her out. I repeated the phrase to a couple of upperclassmen I knew; they laughed and agreed whole heartily, adding she forgot about drinking moonshine while hunting as well. It is the proclaimed Moonshine Capital of World. Ferrum's party scene doesn't amount to much, considering the town of Rocky Mount is a good twenty minutes away where one can indulge in the luxuries of Walmart, McDonalds and Sheetz. Along the way is an abandoned factory with its windows grimy and shops that close at dusk, not that they offer anything worthwhile. Ferrum is almost nonexistent, the place they call Ferrum but not the College itself is a narrow stripe of stores under a bridge whose existence is easily forgotten.

The campus itself can to seen in its entirety in under 20 minutes while walking and while the campus lake is picturesque, its gazebos and benches are almost never filled as students rather be in their stuffy dorms or commute home. The regular dorms of Chapman, Sue Wes, Bassett are all aged and banged up by student abuse. Worst of them is the all freshman dorm of Riddick, the unanimous ghetto. But it's not as if you're stuck there, the first cycle of the semester always will kick plenty out and even as a freshman, for some more cash you can move into the newly renovated dorms of Clark and Roberts. Or as an upperclassman go into Arthur or Moore where most the parties happen.

The library needs some newer books, it's hard to find a book published within the last two decades on the shelves; but I doubt many besides me have noticed. Franklin Hall, the campus center building, acts as too many facilities at once. It is the cafeteria, the Student Leadership office, the campus events stage, formal hall and mailroom all in one. It makes it easy to bump into people you may or may not want. The food isn't awful though the quality and variety drops drastically on weekends. The fitness center needs newer equipment.

Too many students go on about how they have nothing to do, while those that don?t form tight cliques. Recent admissions recruitment has been in urban black communities, add that and the traditional surrounding rural white southern students and racial tension is inevitable. Violence is rare but it is uneasy when white guys in camouflage pass black groups. It?s rare to see them mingle.

Clubs are in general not active enough to be a presence on campus and are rarely seen except for maybe the REC Club which has a unique culture to them. They are synonymous with the outdoors program that helped build a full Disc Golf course on campus. With one of the oldest environmental science programs and a sizable chunk of students majoring in Agriculture, Biology or Environmental Science; Ferrum attempts to be more sustainable though not always succeeding. The rest of the mathematics and science programs are focused on teaching remedial or basic math that should have been learned in high school.

This entire piece has been thoroughly negative thus far but only because these negatives help explain the positives. Because the student body is so small and expectations are low, the few who can muster any kind of critical thought is noticed instantly by Professors who are dealt a very uneven spectrum of students. I have nothing but praise for the professors I had, and their patience in dealing with people unfit to be called students. Ferrum gave me, an underachieving high school student, a chance at academic success. Their office hours are almost always open as most students there believe learning begins and ends within the scheduled hours. Going on to talk to them and clash ideas gave me and sense of their commitment to education. I recommend the Philosophy, Russian, History and Political Science programs, as they have treated me with unselfish guidance and treatment beyond the requirements of their job description. The philosophy professor plays in a rock band, the Political Science professor invites us to dinner, these personal connections in this small geographically closed community are the best thing about Ferrum. I?ve seen some very tight knit seniors in the recreation, political science, and Russian department stave off the aura of discontent that Ferrum can induce. I don?t think I could have done such and transferred however the odd people and professors I met at Ferrum will be remembered.

responseTwo things I especially liked about this interesting, well-written review. 1: "Save yourself some time and just go drink beer in an open field!" And later, the "aura of discontent" that Ferrum can induce. I could imagine that easily. I remember it at community college and Ferrum struck me as a glorified community college when I went there for an open house. I was unimpressed and went elsewhere. It's good to know some can eke out a pleasant enough existence at Ferrum, but nothing I've seen or heard has convinced me it isn't overpriced and sorely overrated.
Compare FerrumSave Ferrum