StudentsReview :: California State University - Northridge - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful

Faculty Accessibility
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
B+
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Jul 12 2010
Major: Music - Performance (This Major's Salary over time)
The music department at CSUN was a total joke. When I visited the school before I applied, my would-be advisor was so friendly and seemingly so helpful. I found out later that those were recruitment tactics and that the department was terrible. I did not get the main teacher I wanted and who was promised to me by this advisor. This advisor turned out to be verbally abusive to students and quite unhelpful. Very few professors in the music department cared at all. Students were so cliquey and arrogant and the overall environment was toxic.

I switched to another CSU school to finish my Bachelor of Music and it was a better experience. Now that I am in grad school at a major conservatory on the east coast, I can look back at CSUN and laugh.

If you're an ambitious, dedicated musician, you'll be wasting your time at CSUN. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake. Don't give that crap school a minute of your time.

questionHi, i'm looking at some good music programs in california, preferably the LA area, and I was wondering which CSU school you ended up going to. Also, what other schools are good in that area? PS - I'm thinking about concentrating on jazz performance.
questionHi, I am also looking for some good music programs in California, and am interested in which CSU you transferred to. It'll be very helpful if I could get some hints about the colleges with music programs there since I am living outside of the states and have less chance to visit each campus. Thank you!
responseThe other CSU is San Francisco State.
responseIt's true that this is a crap school and I was promised many things that CSUN never delivered.
Compare CSUN/CalState-NorthridgeSave CSUN/CalState-Northridge