StudentsReview :: California State University Monterey Bay - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Arrogant

Friendly, Unhelpful

Social Life
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
She cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Jul 13 2010
Major: Telecommunications (This Major's Salary over time)
I hated this school. Unless you like to party/get drunk, you will probably not find friends here. I arrived at CSUMB expecting to find a diverse student population. I was sorely mistaken. There is Greek Life, and there is the Japanese language/culture fan club. That's seemingly it. I made endless attempts to make some friends in classes and by joining clubs, but I ended up trapped in my dorm room because I had no one to hang out with (I'm not a partier), and no place to go since Seaside is boring and Monterey is too expensive.

The professors are alright. I can't complain too much. However, the people working in the offices are not helpful at all. You have to fend for yourself if you want to get anything done. Especially housing. They are HORRIBLE. They don't pick up the phone and they rarely reply to emails. The only time they replied to me, they gave me information that had absolutely nothing to do with the issue I contacted them about. Useless.

Classes are impossible to get into. I nearly yanked my hair out trying to get 12 units so I could live in a dorm. Funny thing, CSUMB has 4,000 students and I can't get into classes, but I'm now at a 35,000+ student community college (more on that in the next paragraph), and registering for classes was effortless. I even got the latest registration time, yet I still got into all of my classes.

I've since transferred out of this university, and CSUMB has managed to COMPLETELY screw me over. One - yes, ONE - of my NINE classes transfers to other CSUs. I went into this school believing that if I wasn't happy there, I could transfer to another CSU and not be too behind since that's, you know, one of the best parts of the state school system. Now I'm stuck in community college and basically wasted a year of my life being miserable. Also, the school owes me money that they have yet to get to me, over 4 months after they said it was on its way. I've contacted housing about it and, what a shocker, they haven't gotten back to me, well over a week after I sent them an email.

The one thing I'll give to this school is that it's gorgeous. Plants everywhere, very pretty. They're very forward thinking in terms of being "green", as well.

…That's all I can think of. Oh, the dorms are big and you get your own bathroom. Yay.

I cannot stress enough, unless you plan on joining a clique-y frat or sorority, or you love Japanese culture, you will NOT be happy here.

I was stupid enough to disregard this website's reviews of the school and I'm paying for it. Don't let the same happen to you. Don't bother with this place.

responseShit that sounds awful. i really want to apply here but everything on this website is negative. Do most of the people there besides the Greek Life and Japanese people hate it as much as you?
responseI might be transefering ther for summer since it's cheap but do u this i can just stay there for the summer term and then transfer to other csu?
Compare CSUMB/CSMBSave CSUMB/CSMB