StudentsReview :: The University of Southern Mississippi - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Friendly

ACT:19
Average
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
He cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Jul 27 2010
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
Southern Miss is a social school and the place to go if u want to have a fun time with friends. Its not as big of a party school like our out of state neighbor 100 miles to the west or like our two instate neighbors up north. They just provide a good quality nightlife.

I graduated from Southern Miss in the spring of 2009 with a B.S. in Business Administration and I will say that I had a bittersweet experience. They had good social events all the time available for all students, but I really didnt attend any of them. The good thing is that they provided that. Another is that I ran into a couple dozen of students both in my college and one of the campus organizations I was somewhat a part of (10-20) and they made me feel welcome at this university.

I think quite a few of the professors were out of touch with the program they were a part of. On a good note, I had several professors (not alot) that were friendly as well and knew what they were talking about and can explain concepts well, but again there was not many. Some professors, you had to learn TERMS and there was not much application taught. Some professors taught application and no terms. One professor was not consistent on presenting notes and once in a while put them on the board or overhead. Some of the grad students knew how to explain problems better than some of the professors. Some are there for the right reason and some were there for the right reason and those that were there moved to a better university making more money.

I had a rough time with the administration department towards the end of my junior year (first year) there. USM was trying to give me loans that I never was asking for and completely misunderstood what I was asking for and they also lied to me once about a loan application or more gave me two different stories on a particular loan.

In conclusion:

I rate high on social events availibility (nightlife offers).

I rate high on sporting event atmosphere (atmosphere of football games).

I rate low on administration.

I rate Medium-Low on Education quality.

I rate Medium on Teacher Friendliness.

I rate High on Social Clubs.

Compare USMSave USM