StudentsReview :: Menlo College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Average
University Resource Use
B+
Useful Schoolwork
He rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Aug 02 2010
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
As a Menlo alum, I find it disheartening that someone would try to devalue my education, as well as their own, by publicly berating our alma mater.

Many of the reviewers here shared their opinions in their first or second year of attending the college. I feel one isn't yet qualified to appraise the value of their education until they have had an opportunity to use it. I wish they had held off on their assessments until they had gained the requisite insight to make a legitimate and fair judgment.

I feel obligated to refute some of the misleading and unfair claims made by my fellow alumni.

The college has a great reputation both locally and globally, and for its size, it's surprisingly well-known. The notion that an interviewer or HR rep would turn down a candidate because they are a Menlo alum is extremely hard to swallow.

President Haight is an enthusiastic person with a lot of heart. I've seen him speak a few times. He doesn't read from a script, opting instead to speak from his heart. Why someone would mock him for his frank presentation style is beyond me. Have a look at his remarks to the 2008 graduating class.

I'm especially surprised to see some people claim that students can get good grades without attending their classes. Most of the courses I took in my four years at the college had fewer than 20 students, and the professors usually know all students by name after the first day. There were some days I really wanted to sleep in, but it was never an option for me.

Menlo has a number of fun and interesting activities throughout the year. There's an annual luau, a huge talent show, movie nights, musicians, comedians, carnivals, art expos and a lot more. Every semester, on the first night of finals week, there's a

late-night breakfast
We would chow down on some pancakes and eggs in preparation for some serious studying.

Another popular event is the weekly Study Slam. The students get free pizza, and there are always a few faculty members and student tutors to help students with their homework and projects. It's clear that student success is a priority for the faculty and staff.

questionI'm filling out my menlo app right now but I don't plan on going into any business related field. The only thing I would major in is Communications. So I guess my question is, How have you used your degree and what type of careers would it lead to?

University of Florida (FL) 1:negative