StudentsReview :: Seattle University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly

Social Life
C+
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Social Life than the average student.
Date: Aug 06 2010
Major: History/Histories (art history/etc.) (This Major's Salary over time)
I am a non-traditional student that switched from Business Administration to History after my first year. This was not a failing of SU. Advanced algrebra is not my strong suit, and I knew that going in but tried anyway.

I have completed a year (Fall-Spring) at SU and can say it is challenging. The work load is what I expected. Classes are small so professors get to know you—this can be good or bad depending on you. If you genuinely work at it they notice, and if you don't they notice that too. All my professors have been very accessible and helpful.

As to the social scene… Well it is a Jesuit college so not much in the way of wild parties on campus. I am a commuter student (live off campus), and have heard about it. But the students willing to go out and meet people have no trouble finding parties off campus. SU is just a short walk to Downtown Seattle, and there are buses… So there is always a lot to do if you look for it.

Also there are events on campus and around Seattle that you can take part in. I went to several basketball games, some chior concerts, art galleries, etc… There are also tons of resturaunts and coffee shops near campus. I heard that there are 200 coffee shops in walking distance of the campus. Starbucks, and others. These places always have people in them—students, professors, neighbors…

I love the campus. It is beautiful and relaxing to walk around. On nice days you will see students out on the green studying and sunning. The grounds are well carried for and there are even eatible plants around the grounds.

The students are mostly fun and open. Like any school there is the occassional snooty person, but most are very friendly. If you worry about finding your niche join a collegia. There are different ones for different groups of students—for freshmen, sophmore, junior, seniors, grads, or non-trads. Or hang out in the lobby of your favorite building. Students are always coming and going so finding someone to hang out with shouldn't be to hard.

Also join a group or club. If you have a favorite passtime there is probably a group on campus made up of people with a similar interest. If not start one. Yes, you will study a lot while here, but you also need to socialize.

SU is more the college parents wish for their kids then the party "National Lampoons" version some students look for. But it is not a tomb. You can find fun things to do on and off campus.

SU does have some religous core courses, but they have been looking at lowering the number that are required for the core. Right now it is five over the course of a four year degree. I am not Catholic and have not felt excluded on campus. SU goes out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. The Office of Multicultural Affairs is a great place to visit. OMA does a lot to provide opportunities for students of different backgrounds to meet and participate in activities. They have movie get togethers, lunches, etc… So even if you are not religious you can find things to be a part of at SU.

The preist and nuns on campus are friendly and relaxed. No one tries to convert you, in my experience. The jesuit idea is to facilitate the education of the whole person, so they are interested in hearing your point of view and not just pushing their own. So as long as you are respectful of them they will be friendly and respectful of you. Father Stephen is great and won't hesitate to stop and talk if you appoarch him.

I have loved my experience at SU thus far. I am waiting for fall to start, again. Even though I don't have summer classes I still walk over, from my apartment, a couple times a week to enjoy the beauty of the campus.

comment"Quite bright" wasn't appropriate considering half your comment was grammatically incorrect. "SU is more the college parents wish for their kids then the party"
More than sweetie… you mean, more than. Not then.
responseExcuse you but I wrote
SU us more the (the not then or than) college parents wish for their kids…
So correct use. Also even if that is incorrect it is not by any stretch half the comment.

Do you have an actual comment about Seattle U? Or question about my experience there? Or are you just looking to start a fight?

Compare SeattleSave Seattle