StudentsReview :: Green Mountain College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA+
Friendly, Approachable

C-
Faculty Accessibility
He cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Date: Sep 04 2010
Major: Biology (This Major's Salary over time)
I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent individual (don't we all). I did not do well in high school because at that point I was quite apathetic towards the direction in which my life was headed in general. I eventually got around to seeing that I really needed a college degree if I wanted to have a half-decent life so I headed to CC. In any even I went to community-college, got all A's, actually met one of the best friends in my life and we headed off to GMC after a year there.

Mainly we both went to GMC because we both got accepted there and thought it would be cool. We did also hear a rumor that some kid got accepted when he sent away asking for information about the school, and it may have actually happened given some of the types here. When we got to GMC alot of what people are saying is true, tons of kids ripping their bongs in their dorm rooms or on the back hill, river parties behind the college every weekend with a bunch of kids raging it, etc. But those are just the students at GMC who make a bunch of noise and are very visible, with such a small campus its alot easier to see the crowd that just went to college because they're "supposed to", but don't really care about scholastics.

If you are a serious student who can trust themselves to be responsible to do all your work, and maybe a little bit more on your own, then there is no reason you won't walk away from GMC with a top-notch education. I am graduating in Dec of this year with a degree in biology and minors in chemistry and mathematics. I was able to do a prestigious summer internship at an Ivy League school where I did cancer research. The biology faculty give tests based on questions on the subject-test GRE's and encourage students to pursue graduate degrees. Alot of people are claiming that the prof's are nothing but pot-smoking hippies that no nothing about what they are teaching which is a load of horse manure. I tell you first hand that a genetics / biochem course with Natalie Coe will have you studying for hours and hours, and she is far from the only one.

It seems to me that people with majors in Biology, Writing, Education, Business, Self-designed or the Progressive program tend to party less and study more. Beware of the majors for Art, Communications, Adventure Rec, Philosophy kids, they seem to be filled with hippies who want to go hiking and paint flowers for a living (they won't).

I'll break it down for you here for a second:

People who shouldn't go to GMC: Those who don't know what they want to do except go to college to party some. You might even do OK and hang in there a couple of years, but you will crumble and drop out by junior year. Then you realize that you just blew around 20-60k depending on your level of financial aid and go on a public tirade about how GMC tricked you into thinking you had a chance at an education.

People who should go to GMC: People who are motivated and want to do well and can resist the party-scene in favor of getting their work done. I have seen some kids come into gmc with alot of promise and go down-hill fast because of the scene, so have your priorities in order.

Compare GMCSave GMC