StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Not so bright
Faculty Accessibility
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
C-
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Sep 23 2010
Major: Economics (This Major's Salary over time)
I am graduating from JMU soon, but I used to go to ODU and I transferred to JMU from there about two years ago. I visited ODU recently to see a friend, and I saw that not much had changed since I attended, so this review is still pretty accurate! I didn't post a review for JMU, because the positive reviews on the JMU page pretty much speak for themselves. :P

JMU was an incredible and life-changing experience that taught me endless new ways of thinking about the world. JMU, in many ways, allowed me to give my life a lot of meaning. ODU did not do that. ODU was like a garbage pit filled with students who were inept academically, socially, or both. You will never meet a body of students who are more satisfied with their closed-mindedness and judgmental ways than the students at ODU.

Over 200 different clubs and organizations
were existent…at an official level, at least. What the school doesn't tell you is that these clubs and organizations are highly intolerant of everyone except the most strongly devoted, conforming members. The intense clique mentality within the three clubs in which I tried to participate gave me a strong feeling that I was unwelcome and that my time was not being constructively spent. The only way you can advance yourself in an ODU club is by pointlessly sucking up to the highest-ranking/most self-absorbed members over a long period of time. How depressing it was for me!

At ODU, I also had numerous professors who were really incapable of teaching. For these professors, you had to rely entirely on your book in order to make sense of the lectures. You also had to check over your graded exams VERY carefully, since the professors for the most part could not be trusted to grade your exams properly. There were several times where I turned 60s into 90s simply by taking the graded exam to the department heads and pointing out all the professors' errors. The good professors were, sure enough, rarely around for more than a semester. One of them was obviously eager to leave ODU and take a position at Virginia Tech. Good for him.

The administrative service workers…oh, my God. They expressed such hatred for everyone when I was a student there, and judging from my recent visit, they still do. They make it clear that they are very dissatisfied with their lives, so they try to make up for their existences by doing things like: posting bogus charges and fines on students' accounts, using profane and lewd language in front of students during the normal course of business, and bullying students who have legitimate complaints against them.

Since I left ODU, I had been hearing that football was becoming very popular. During my most recent visit, I found that my initial suspicions were correct: the football games are popular not because they are exciting, not because they unite the campus, and not because the ODU team is any good, but because the students are trend-following conformists who only go to the games to SAY that they went to the games, to brag to other people about it. Other than that, there is nothing truly special about the ODU football experience.

On a final note, it IS actually important where you go to college, because if you go to a better school that attracts a lot of high-quality people, then you will pick up a lot of the positive and desirable traits of these people without even trying. The people who say that college is "what you make of it" are merely trying to legitimize their own shortcomings. College is equally as much what you make it at ODU as it is at Princeton, or Duke, or JMU, or Virginia Tech. But ask yourself this…why is it that these schools are so much more well-regarded than ODU? Oh, that's right! They ATTRACT good, fearless and intelligent people who work hard. ODU is full of fearful and ignorant people who refuse to develop themselves.

Compare ODUSave ODU