StudentsReview :: California State University Monterey Bay - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Unhelpful

SAT1700
Friendliness
C
She cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Sep 23 2010
Major: Psychology (This Major's Salary over time)
I am currently a freshman here at CSUMB, and all I can say is I made a mistake in coming here. It was not my first choice of schools, I had wanted to attend LMU and I got in but was unable to afford it. I was allured by CSUMB's small size and of course the state school prices. It has been difficult here from the beginning. Getting the right classes was hard, and though I asked for help multiple times I never received any. I had tried to make an appointment with an advisor so I would know what classes to take and she called me back saying that typically freshmen do not see the advisors for first semester because they have a system in place to help freshmen get their classes. They had no such system, so when they asked us to sign up for classes at orientation I was scrambling to throw together a schedule.

The dorms are relatively nice. They have their own bathrooms and are of decent size, but I do not feel safe here at all. Three weeks into the semester my roommate was raped in our dorm. It does not help me to feel safe either that the RA on my floor is always drunk and/or high like almost everybody else around here. It is not hard to meet people, although there are a limited number of people to meet because it is a small school, but it is hard to make friends unless you are into drinking and smoking literally ALL THE TIME.

The classes are very disappointing. I was not expecting much from them, but they are really just a waste of time. Unless you are someone that enjoys having powerpoints read to you, I do not think you will get much out of these classes. Powerpoints are the teaching method around here. You will be forced to endure them and asked to make them countless times.

Compare CSUMB/CSMBSave CSUMB/CSMB