StudentsReview :: The University of Vermont - Extra Detail about the Comment

Academic Success
D+
Safety
A
He cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Sep 28 2010
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
I am not a matriculated student, I am however, a full-time enrolled student in the University system. I entered the college through the continuing education program from a community college. I have nothing but praise for the folks in continuing education and what they have done for me, but my experiences with the college in whole has been a different one.

If you're not living on campus, you better be ready to do a LOT of walking. Parking is pretty atrocious, and commuters are forced to walk up a mile to get to some of their classes. Part of that blame lies in the fact that Burlington is a fairly dense city, but recent University developments such as restrictions on previously open parking spaces make life harder for no apparent reason. There is a bus system which in and of itself I have no complaints about, but it is not always reliable to catch, and often times you'll realize making the trek on foot from the University heights to the main campus is much faster, especially when you live on a tight schedule like I do.

I can't help but feel disenfranchised within the school. Although I have access to all of the resources of the school, there is little direction in your school life. There is no reasonable expectation that you'll be able to continue towards a degree program as an active full-time non-matriculated student, and signing up for courses that require pre-requisites can be a huge hassle and be unnecessarily stressful. No class I've taken seems particularly crowded, but the obstacles are still there. The best way I can describe it is standing in the line at the DMV, except you're standing in line and signing pointless papers to sign up for courses instead of renewing your license.

Recent directions that UVM's administration has taken also concerns me, with a shift in attendance towards out of state students and a general refocusing on making UVM primarily a research university. I've lived in Vermont my entire life and these feel like new trends, and not particularly beneficial to Vermonters who want access to affordable and reliable education.

I do not want to sound preachy, as the school has a lot of great qualities. The education you'll receive is second to none, the faculty are friendly and welcoming and Burlington is beautiful. But if you're planning on entering the school as a commuter and/or continuing education, prepare to put absolutely everything into your work because you don't have much flexibility if you want a chance of getting into UVM as a degree student, and a reasonable expectation of graduating on time.

Compare UVM/UVermontSave UVM/UVermont