StudentsReview :: Sweet Briar College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Geneva, NY

Sweet Briar College

Alumni Survey

Date: Sep 29 2010
Major: Sociology (This Major's Salary over time)
Sweet Briar College was a beautiful, intellectually enriching, and serene institution where I obtained my undergraduate degree; but it's definitely not for everybody. Its remote location, homogeneity, and lack of party scene and/or guys may be detractors. I wasn't looking for a party environment, but if I wanted one…I loved that I could party right up the road at UVa, Hampden-Sydney, or other area schools. It's pretty costly but when I attended, plenty of women were on scholarship and generous financial aid. I loved the variety of courses offered; everything from horseback riding to winetasting (extracurricular not academic) to Arabic and intro to geographic information systems.

Did it prepare me for the real world? Not really. But did high school? No. I work in health care/local government right now and I have to say; taking my Emergency Medical Technician course didn't prepare me that much for what it would be like working in the field. The classroom cannot act as a replacement for the field, just a supplement. Your life experiences, motivation, values, and confidence will be what ultimately shapes you the most. The degree is just a supplement. Look for what makes you happy, energized, and intellectually stimulated. Sweet Briar is a great place to grow, but it stifles some. Definitely visit before you decide to attend. And it definitely helps to have a car.

Compare SBCSave SBC