StudentsReview :: Montana State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityC- Extra CurricularsC-
SafetyB
Friendly, Approachable

ACT:28
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
Useful Schoolwork
C-
A
He cares more about Extra Curriculars than the average student.
Date: Oct 11 2010
Major: Economics (This Major's Salary over time)
In general MSU is a good school. I feel confident that on the whole it's academics are about as good as any other school. I should clarify that I'm not someone who's in college for anything other than the academics. If you're looking for a party school I get the impression MSU (and the surrounding area) does a lot of partying—but I don't know for sure.

For those who are mostly interested in a solid education I can tell you that the best education at MSU is in math, statistics, engineering, and computer science.

If I'm upset or disappointed by anything its that I pursued a relatively worthless major in economics. Looking back now that I'm a senior, I wish that I'd done engineering or computer science. I love economics, but I'm competing with english majors for jobs! Ugh. In any case, MSU is a good school, the economics department faculty are generally good (though their are 2 or 3 out of 12 professors who are of horrible quality—mostly the newly hired professors), but the actual content of the economics major is pathetic. The core economics classes are excellent (101, 102, 201, 301, 302) but the electives are so lacking in rigor that they should be optimal. Most of them felt like irritating mountains of busy work. Where the core classes felt challenging, interesting, structured, and useful . . . the elective classes lacked structure and were mostly taught in a "survey of …" style. Seeing economic theory applied to a broad area: like natural resource economics, or public finance economics. It just seemed that once students deviated from the core classes the electives weren't worthwhile. I also wish that when a professor is a new hire that they'd have the senior professors sit in on their lectures at least once a week. I believe this would motivate newly hired professors to care more about teaching, do a better job, and teach better classes; the new hires would also probably gain more from the senior professors expertice. Some of the new economics professors here are atrocious: lazy, boring, unstructured, frustrating professors who show up every morning to just walk the students through a powerpoint lecture and then assign homework that they haven't covered. The last homework assignment I remember had a 25 point curve! On Homework!!! That's pathetic. If you (the professor) have to curve homework, you're doing something wrong.

Montana State University