StudentsReview :: The University of Vermont - Extra Detail about the Comment

SAT1890
Useful Schoolwork
B-
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
She cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Oct 28 2010
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
UVM is one of the best state schools, and I have enjoyed my time here for the most part. However, I am trying to transfer out.

The mindset of most of the students here is all about partying. People in my dorm get shit faced every night of the week. It's always loud and hard to get work done. I mean, weekends its fun to go out, but common… During the week, I need to study. This makes my life harder, because I have to walk all the way to the library whenever i want to get any work done (and the UVM campus is VERY spread out), so that's a long walk many times a day. It's also hard to fall asleep due to the constant screaming and loud noises of the partying kids in my dorm. The RAs do almost NOTHING to monitor the noise levels. The kids in my dorm are very irresponsible, and it impacts EVERYONe in the dorm. For instance, the parents of EVERY kid in my dorm were billed $100 on two occasions this semester due to damage done to the dorm building by a few individuals. How is that fair to my parents when I was no part of this damage? It just makes no sense to me… I am sick of the irresponsible nature of the kids I am living with. It's hard to find passionate kids who care about the work they do and will have a conversation that doesn't involve weed or alcohol. That being said, if you enjoy partying, the social life here is VERY good. However, it is hard to make deep connections with the people around you when the main social activities are just smoking and drinking.

Academics here are good. The classes I've taken were for the most part interesting and the professors were experienced in their fields. I have only taken one class that had a graduate student teaching it. However, most of the introductory courses here are very large. Be prepared to be in a class with over 50 or 100 other students.

Getting into UVM is relatively easy, but it's getting harder. I am glad I came here because it has helped me become more independent. However, I am currently trying to transfer out because I do not like the culture here. I want to be in an environment where I can connect with others on deeper levels. Sure, partying is fun, but UVM students take it a little too far.

responseI completely agree!! This is my first year here and I am thinking of transferring. It's a great school with a beautiful campus but that's not enough for me. People go out every thursday, friday, saturday and it's getting really old. My roommate judges me for not going out all the time.. like it's a bad thing. I miss having small get-togethers with high school friends and actually bonding. I feel like all people do is get shit faced and then go to a frat. And I live on Redstone campus, which means i'm with a lot of sophomores. Oh and literally everyone on my floor goes out, so I get pretty lonely if I ever stay in for the night.
Compare UVM/UVermontSave UVM/UVermont